News By Tag
News By Place
Climate Cooling Report a Trojan Horse for Deniers
The headline that Global Climate Change deniers are currently holding up actually shows the earth is going to get very hot very quickly! This Climate Crisis report actually supports existing science.
For those of us who are deeply concerned about Climate Change, it is great news that Climate Change deniers are holding up the HEADLINE from Nature Magazine and saying - “Look at this!” Deniers have ignored hundreds of similar reports, let’s hope the Headline gets everyone to try to understand the report which supports everything scientists have been saying all along.
How is this report the Trojan Horse that may help get deniers to fully embrace the global crisis of Climate Change?
Consider graph from the report: http://img.skitch.com/
* The red line is the 10 year mean for temperatures over past decades.
* The black line is global rise in Climate change suggested by a International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). The panel of thousands of scentists who are urging the world governments to take action.
* The short purple line shows what the temperatures would have been in 2005-2010 had man-made carbon emissions stopped.
* The green line is the forecast temperature from the “Climate Change Pause” study.
* The start of the dark grey area is where we are on the timeline, today - 2008.
While the media have grabbed what they call the dip in the green curve (or global cooling), showing a slower rise in global temperatures over the next ten years, here are the important things to note:
* the next ten years actually refers to the past seven years and the next three . . . ie: the current decade. Temperature increases this decade have slowed.
* temperature rise in this report meets the IPCC projected global temperature rise of .8 degrees C by 2025.
* the report supports previous studies which show that it’s going to get quite hot, quite quickly over the coming decade: 2010-2020
* the curve doesn’t dip or cool at all, the report suggests that temperatures are projected to rise for every single projected measurement period.
* the purple line (what would have happened, had human created Green House Gas emissions stopped) helps deniers see that human activity causes the temperature increase.
* supports other Global Warming Reports like the one in Science.
Those of us who teach others about Climate Change need to celebrate the Nature Magazine report that is getting Climate Change deniers to use the basic concepts of the Climate Crisis:
* the earth is warming
* human activity is causing the warming
* It’s going to get a lot hotter soon
* scientific studies are cause for action, NOW.
Now, if we can just get a Headline that says “ocean levels are dropping over the next decade”, maybe we can get deniers to understand the threat that rising oceans associated with the climate crisis are having across the globe.