“At its conclusion Solar Noir will be a distributed 20-MW solar farm.” says 510nano President, Dr. Reginald Parker. “The impetus for this project for 510nano and its partners is simply to reduce the rate that socially disadvantaged farmers lose their land.” 510nano partnered with the Gray Group, SunManor Farmers, and Carthage to make this happen. The 50,000 plus solar panel facility will be constructed on 50-acres known as Harrell Farms. “The collaboration with our partners, the Tarboro community, local officials, and most importantly the disadvantage farmers is why this is such an achievement”
The keynote speech will be delivered by U.S. Congressman, the Honorable G.K. Butterfield. Local remarks will be given by Edgecombe County Commissioner Ms. Viola Davis. Several other local officials will be in attendance, along with Solar Noir shareholders and stakeholders.
Solar Noir, LLC
The concept behind Solar Noir is to provide a vehicle to help socially disadvantaged farmers with income to assist in retaining their land. 510nano developed a structure in concert with the Gray Group to develop a solar farm that would benefit ten African-American farmers. The first step was to lease land and provide the seed money to structure the transaction. One of North Carolina's largest African-American farmers, Mr. Heywood Harrell, provided the group a 20-year land lease. In addition, farmers in Eastern North Carolina, rural businesses and supporters invested in SunManor Farmers. The last member to join the effort was Carthage Investment group who desired to provide equity in support of the development.
Solar Noir will be constructed in three phases to ultimately produce 20-MWs of solar power in Eastern NC. The goal is to help these farmers secure a revenue stream to protect their land and agricultural assets. Further, it is an example of what can be gained by disparate people coming together for a common cause.
• 510nano is a solar farm and technology development firm. 510nano has solar assets in both NC and CA.
• Gray group is a community advocate which has provided aid to socially disadvantaged rural businesses and farmers.
• Harrell Farms is 100-acre property located off of Daniel Street in Tarboro, NC.
• SunManor Farmers is a group of African-American farmers and professionals who are in support of minority farmers.
• Carthage Investment Group is a real estate investment fund located in Pennsylvania