Since its founding, Animation Vertigo continues to provide unparalleled quality solutions to leaders in film, television and video games. The company continues to set the standard in motion capture outsourcing and consistently exceeds client expectations with timely, quality results. Leading video games such as Call of Duty®: Black Ops 1 and 2 by Activision® as well as Heavy Rain™ and Beyond: Two Souls™, bothfrom Quantic Dream™, areon its roster. Animation Vertigo and its production team have built a topnotch reputation in the industry as billion-dollar companies across the globe continue to seek out Animation Vertigo to fulfill their motion capture needs.
In celebration of a decade in motion, Rausch reflects on the major changes that the motion capture industry has seen over the years:
· 10 years ago, capturing multiple actors on stage at once was a difficult and complicated task, one that required a lot of work both on stage and off. Due to immense technological advances, today it’s possible to capture up to 10 or more actors at one time with their markers still visible.
· Facial capture was also uncommon and not as utilized when Rausch first began Animation Vertigo. Now, there is a bigger capability for full performance capture (capturing both face and body motion at the same time) in all media forms including film, TV and games. Doing performance capture elevates the animation produced by motion capture and it continues to grow.
· Motion capture has become a familiar term for film and game lovers. Thanks to behind-the-scenes coverage and social media, a larger audience is more aware and appreciative of what it brings to films and games.
· For motion capture users, the sophistication of tools and usability has reduced the cost of doing motion capture and increased the volume of work that is currently being done. More development teams can utilize it and are going into the new arenas of gaming platforms.
· The industry of motion capture is now a global market. Animation Vertigo launched a global trend of outsourcing and made large multi-billion dollar companies comfortable with outsourcing. These companies now know that their intellectual property is protected and can be financially sustainable.
· 10 years ago, a vast majority of motions were in-game or navigational moves. In today’s game world, storytelling is the main focus, which means over half of the work the Animation Vertigo team does is cinematic capture – full body, face and fingers – to help tell a story at a motion capture level.
· Motion capture teams work hand-in-hand with animators. There used to be an old argument that pit motion capture technicians against keyframe animators, but today, wonderfully skilled animators know when to use motion capture as a tool and resource.
· Software tools have become much more accessible, sophisticated and user-friendly. More people can utilize them and push technologies even further than before.
· The industry has become much more actor-driven. We see that nuances make a difference and now, actors are important to push the reality into the character. They are hired to portray major roles like actors Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe in Beyond: Two Souls. The technology now allows the actor to engage their craft as never before in motion capture.
· The motion capture industry is now much more supported, not just in courses and classes in motion capture animation but in acting and technicians. There is also a growing support of business including motion capture suits, markers and stages.
About Animation Vertigo
Animation Vertigo is an outsource management company that provides high quality and reliable solutions for motion capture and animation needs. The company’s production center is located in Manila, Philippines, tapping into tremendous talent, resources and artists. Animation Vertigo has an unmatched reputation for delivering professional, experienced and timely motion capture solutions to its clients. Visit www.animationvertigo.com for more information.