The Minister has been confirmed to discuss economic empowerment through skills development and preferential procurement and how can benefits be maximised for societies and communities while the industry is still evolving. He will also review how international companies can adhere to local content requirements while maintaining competitiveness in the South African market.
Further dti representatives also confirmed to speak at the event include Garth Strachan, Deputy Director General, Industrial Development Division and Kishan Pillay, Director: Oil & Gas, Industrial Development Division. Mr Strachan will examine how mutually beneficial partnerships can be encouraged between the industry and the workforce, and Mr Pillay is set to evaluate whether the lessons learned by South Africa’s mining sector can be transferred to the oil and gas industry.
Keynote speakers who will give an overview of the local content in South Africa, best practice in workforce development, procurement and fostering SMEs include:
· Lindiwe Mekwe, Acting CEO, Petroleum Agency SA
· Natalie Stirling-Sanders, Global Manager, Local Content, Supplier Diversity & Sustainable Procurement, ExxonMobil
· Ebrahim Takolia, CEO, South African Oil & Gas Alliance
· Brian Molefe, Group CEO, Transnet
· Mandla Gobingca, General Manager: Supplier Development & Localisation, ESKOM
· Judi Sandrock, Co-Founder & Joint CEO, MEDO
· Keith Scott, Managing Director, The MSA Group
· John Smelcer, Head of Oil & Gas Sector Group, Webber Wentzel
· Paul Eardley-Taylor, Oil & Gas, Southern Africa, Standard Bank
· Chris Bredenhann, Southern Africa Energy Industry Leader & Africa Oil & Gas Advisory Leader, PwC
The event is set to bring together more than 200 top executives from government, operators and service companies across the whole value chain. As described by Mr Pillay,“the upcoming Local Content Summit provides the dti, with an opportunity to engage directly with critical stakeholders on the more practical aspects of local content policies and its implementation in South Africa”. For more information on the South Africa Local Content Summit please visit www.southafrica-