- Aug. 7, 2014
-- The International Cricket Council said it will not appeal against the verdict of judicial commissioner Gordon Lewis exonerating England fast bowler James Anderson after he was alleged to have abused and pushed Indian player Ravindra Jadeja during the first test in Nottingham. The ICC's chief executive David Richardson, the only one who could have appealed against the verdict, said in a statement that he was satisfied with the decision. "This outcome is the result of two exhaustive and thorough disciplinary processes and, after considering the written decision, the ICC is satisfied with the manner in which the decisions have been reached," Richardson said. The Board of Control for Cricket in India, which was hoping for a ban of up to four matches for a level three offence, had on Tuesday expressed its disappointment to ICC at the judicial commissioner's decision. But Richardson dashed Indian officials' hopes, saying the issue was complicated due to conflicting evidence on both sides and there would be no use prolonging the process. "The disciplinary procedures were robust and transparent and all parties had ample opportunity to ask questions, test the evidence and make submissions,"
Richardson said. "We have determined that there is no merit in an appeal and that it would not be in the best interest of the sport to take such action."
Lewis had found both Anderson and Jadeja "not guilty" following a hearing by video conference which involved the players, witnesses from both teams, the team managers, legal counsel and ICC heads. Anderson and Jadeja had exchanged angry words as they left the field at lunch on day two of the test at Nottingham, and it was alleged that Anderson pushed Jadeja inside the pavilion complex. Anderson is also reported in England to have used obscene language aimed at Jadeja and Dhoni during play. Jadeja had earlier been fined 50 per cent of his match fee for his role in the altercation by match referee David Boon but that was revoked following the judicial commissioner's investigation. The five test-match series is tied at 1-1 after three tests with the fourth set to start Thursday in Manchester.Related News
Cook defends Anderson
Alastair Cook has defended Anderson, who could have been banned for four test matches, and does not believe he needs to tame his aggressive approach. "There's always that muddy line," Cook said. "He needs that for his bowling. The way he bowled at Southampton (in the third test) was incredible."
Anderson finished with match figures of 7-77 in the third match at the Rose Bowl, which England won by 266 runs for its first test victory in almost a year. He is now only 12 wickets behind Ian Botham's record England wicket tally of 383 and Cook believes Anderson will surpass that figure easily. "I'm pretty sure he'll be England's leading wicket taker very soon," Cook said. "That is an outstanding achievement. He is a very different personality when he crosses the line which I don't think anyone should moan about. What happens on the field should stay on the field. He is the best English bowler I have seen."
As well as victory at the Rose Bowl leveling the series 1-1, Cook finally found some form with the bat, contributing with scores of 95 and 70 not out. But his wait for a century, which dates back to May 2013, continues and he admitted he still has work to do to reach the level he demands from himself. "It was great that I scored runs last week," Cook said. "I want to be consistent and score big runs and I have got another opportunity to try and do that. We put a lot of wear and tear into India's bowlers in that game and that is how you win test series."