In August 1996, Kevin Macpherson conceived of a series of paintings. The term “series” is perhaps too modest a description for what came to be called the Pond Project. This is not simply a group of works on a theme, nor a one year exploration of a single subject. Rather Reflections on a Pond was conceived as a physical challenge and psychological adventure in which a view out to a nearby pond would be documented on canvas at different times of the day and night, in all seasons. It took five years to complete. Kevin describes the “Reflections on a Pond” series.
Macpherson has just announced he will hold a special Plein Air Painting Workshop called “Capturing Color and Light en Plein Air” on Hornby Island in Vancouver.
* September 22-25, 2014
* Plein Air Painting Workshop
* Join celebrated Plein Air artist, Kevin Macpherson. Kevin is author of three bestselling plein air books, Fill Your Oil Paintings with Light and Color, Painting the Landscape Inside and Out, Reflections on a Pond: A Visual Journal, and the soon to be released new book, Light, Atmosphere and Color. Beginners to advance artists will benefit personally from Kevin’s 35 years of experience painting on location, teaching, and concise writing methods.
* The workshop includes four days painting the beautiful, pristine coastal landscapes, personal attention, and group critiques. Challenging lessons, lectures and instructor/demonstrations will fill the days with the “art spirit”. Simplify the chaos of nature with a firm understanding of light and shade. Master color relationships and composition made easy. Forget the formulas and look to nature for the truthful answers. Learn to react intuitively painting en plein air for successful passionate painting. Create a painting that goes beyond merely a picture one that evokes the senses. Engage in artistic challenges and take risks under the tutelage of a passionate well-known instructor. All levels of experience are welcome and the fundamentals apply to all mediums. Return home with a solid grasp of landscape fundamentals and the confidence to release your passion and let your true voice rule. Bring a limited palette, lots of small canvases and a work ethic, but most of all don’t leave home without your sense of humor. Kevin will keep you laughing all the while you learn.
* This is the first time Kevin is teaching in British Columbia. Take advantage of this opportunity!
* Instructor demonstrations, painting en plein air and picnic lunches. Instructor and students dine together to make the most out of this great island experience. The local hospitality will surely make this a memorable workshop.
* Special access to a private golf course along the waters edge and time to relax on the beach, clothing optional. There is something special about an island. Leave your cares on the mainland and just concentrate on the “art spirit”.
* Early registration is encouraged. Registration is first come, first served. Kevin’s classes fill quickly.
* $875 USD. Register online: http://kevinMacpherson.com/
* Reserve your space with a nonrefundable deposit of $300 (Paypal available). Class size limited to 20. The balance of the class fee is due August 29.
* The tuition does not include transportation, food or lodging. Only credit card and Paypal can be accepted.
* Please call (575) 758-7105 (New Mexico) with questions.
* Your tuition will be fully refunded if the class must be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
Comment from Students:
* Kevin exceeding my hopes. Obviously a master at painting, but equally so as a teacher - that magic combination is few and far between… and let’s not forget to add Stand Up Comedian to the list - bet there is never a dull moment between the 2 of you. I imagine you both are ready for a breather, hope you get one. -- SB
* Kevin is a fantastic teacher and creates great examples and demonstrations for his students to understand the information he is presenting while making the experience a lot of fun. Wanda and Kevin are a fantastic team and thank you for organizing the workshop and group so well. – RW
* Kevin, you're the best teacher ever and so generous to share your love and knowledge of painting with us. I learned more in 5 days than I have in the last 5 years and I'm encouraged that I can improve with the tools and exercises you gave us. -PK
See more about Kevin’s work and biographical information:
Details on where to purchase Kevin Macpherson works at Mountainsong Galleries:
Location: Ocean between San Carlos and Mission Carmel-by-the-
* Phone: (831) 626-0600
* Private Viewings By Appointment - Call 831-233-8255
* Website: http://www.mountainsonggalleries.com/
* Kevin’s works can also be found on http://www.amazon.com/