PRLog - July 8, 2014 - Dubai, UAE – 08 July 2014 – Data published today reveals that only 16% of 91,000 IT service incidents logged with Dimension Data service centres* in 2013 were related to the device itself while the other 84% of incidents were related to non-device issues such as human error, telecom failures or environmental issues. The largest category of IT incidents are due to human error, with nearly one-third of all incidents – 6% configuration errors plus 26% other human errors – are potentially avoidable.
According to Dimension Data’s annual Network Barometer Report (http://www.dimensiondata.com/
First published in 2009, this year’s Network Barometer Report was compiled from technology data gathered from 91,000 service incidents logged for client networks that Dimension Data supports. In addition, Dimension Data also carried out 288 technology assessments covering 74,000 technology devices in organisations of all sizes and all industry sectors across 32 countries.
Telecom, or wide area network (WAN), failures came in as the second most frequent root cause –
at 22%. This is to be expected, considering the complexity of maintaining and managing the many different components of a geographically dispersed telecom network.
Third on Dimension Data’s Network Barometer Report list of the most frequent causes of service incidents are physical environment problems such as loss of power, air-conditioning failures, temperature control problems, and more. These account for 15% of all incidents.
*Dimension Data’s Global Service Centres (GSCs) are organisational hubs situated at eight central locations around the world.
At these centres, Dimension Data technical support experts receive and resolve technical service tickets from over a million
requests from 10,000 clients every year – more than 2,500 incidents each day.
In fourth position, are device-related problems, with 14% of all incidents attributed to hardware. Adding a 2% of incidents attributed to software bugs, this indicates that only 16% of all service incidents fall within the remit of device support contracts.
“This latest data tells us that these service incidents are not device related and fall outside typical maintenance contracts therefore, they will need to be addressed and resolved by the organisation’
“We investigated how likely obsolete devices were to fail when compared with current or ageing devices. We expected to uncover that obsolete devices would cause longer downtime when they fail than current or ageing devices. We were surprised to find that the data indicated otherwise. In fact, the average mean-time-to-
Considering that the large majority of services incidents are not related to network devices and that maintenance requirements for these devices vary by lifecycle stage, Schofield recommends that the most effective way for organisations to improve their network service levels and ensure maximum availability is to invest in mature operational systems and support processes. “Knowing the devices and their lifecycle stages, having sparing strategies for obsolete equipment, and understanding the potential network impact if devices fail will support greater network availability.”
Figure above: incidents by root cause
Click here (http://www.dimensiondata.com/
About Dimension Data
Founded in 1983, Dimension Data plc is an ICT services and solutions provider that uses its technology expertise, global service delivery capability, and entrepreneurial spirit to accelerate the business ambitions of its clients. Dimension Data is a member of the NTT Group. www.dimensiondata.com
About the Dimension Data Network Barometer Report
The Network Barometer Report 2014 presents the aggregate data gathered from Dimension Data’s Technology Lifecycle Management Assessments conducted for clients around the world in 2013.
It also contains data provided by its Global Service Centres which relates to service incidents logged for client networks that Dimension Data supports. The data is compiled, analysed, compared and interpreted to gauge the readiness of today’s networks to support business.
About the Technology Lifecycle Management Assessment
This ICT assessment service from Dimension Data discovers installed assets on the network, identifies their lifecycle statuses, determines maintenance coverage, and flags potential security vulnerabilities. The Assessment ensures that organisations don’t expose themselves to unnecessary risk, by assisting with the alignment of their IT infrastructure to configuration, security, and patch management best practices. The Technology Lifecycle Management Assessment is automated and is not based on a survey.
OAK Consulting FZ LLC