If site ranking is slipping in a slow but steady way, it is time to take certain steps and prevent the calamity. In order to stop the slip, it is crucial to understand the concept known as Google penalties. These are certain practices never opted by the sites that never want to get into the wrong side of this search engine. If you are thinking of going against these points or rather suggestions it can be said with certainty that, the site then is truly doomed.
Before going into the restoration process though, you need to be sure about the condition of the so called site. This is because, taking the right steps in time of trouble is one of the wisest things, but doing the same without any trouble brewing is nothing but foolishness. If you are keep a regular tab on the ranking of your site, say a monitoring done every week will be enough to remain informed and ahead in the game. Warning signs deciphered in time can do wonders and so should be treated with equal importance.
There are certain signs which can make it clear that, the site is in trouble and they are:
· Your brand or company name does not have good ranking anymore.
· In Google listing, the references will be regarding secondary pages and not your homepage.
· Page ranking has to drop slightly or quite a lot within a certain period of time.
· All the page one positions are slipping fast into second or third or lower pages.
· The site has been effective removed from the cached results of Google.
So, it is now quite clear that, knowing about the points which can act as the reason behind Google’s penalty can save you and your website in time. Gathering information on the said point, will prove to be quite invaluable an attempt to gain back or retain the high page ranking and popularity. Those causes are:
1. Content duplicity – Using same content for more than one page or stealing it from someone else is never a good idea. It does not only hamper the quality of the content and penalize it in the search engine, but wreck havoc regarding the credibility of a site. The content should be freshly written, informative, at par with the current trends and specifically written for the target audience. Using different plagiarism checkers will help you to remain alert and save the site from penalization.
2. 404 Error – Internal errors like broken page, incomplete URL and such are one of the sure sought ways of getting penalized. So, you should check the site properly to minimize these errors and make sure that, the users are never lead to dead ends or end up discovering missing content.
3. Link baiting/ affiliate link – Google never liked others manipulating the system. For instance, they never supported the way bigger businesses and expensive sites trying to buy or sell links in exchange of money. They want each of the sites to rank depending on brilliance and quality and exploit the same platform. So, affiliate link can spell disaster for your website.
4. Keyword density – Use of keywords should be strategic and not glaringly obvious. So, less number of keywords can spell success and magic for your site, because Google likes content that are written keeping the user friendliness in mind and not for the convenience of the search engine.
5. Link exchange – Allowing one site to post links in your site in exchange of the same service is not going to please Google at all. They are against such little arrangements, because they want things to be clear and balanced. So, links that can get redirected to your site is not very good at this moment, if it is a result of any internal agreement.
6. Missing sitemap – Sitemap is basically the nutshell of information for your website and if it is missing or is not providing enough information or facts for that matter, the page rank is definitely going to suffer quite a lot which is not at all nice.
7. Un-optimized H1 tag – The header of a site is the place which allows the visitors to find out what the site is all about. So, proper optimization of that place is required, which simply means getting the relevant and related chosen few keywords up there. If there is something wrong with that requirement, the site is going to take a hit in Google.
8. Penalized Inbound Links – If your site is linked to some other sites which are already penalized by Google, it can have a really bad effect on your website and then on its page rank.
9. Hidden Content or Black Hat SEO – Well taking the sneaky approach used to pay well in the past, but not anymore. With its updated and latest algorithms and policies, Google has shown the door to this unearthly practice of Black Hat SEO.
10. Content Networks – Along with preparing the content, it is crucial to keep a tab on the publication of the content as well. It is because, content published in irrelevant and completely unrelated sites, allowing unrelated links or comments to come in association to the content will not be able to do much good to your site or its ranking, rather chances of getting penalized will become greater. So, content networks should be dealt and managed with utmost care.
11. Excessive Anchor Text – Hyper-linking is a tool which will allow you to highlight certain crucial areas or words of phrases in content, resulting into drawing more attention from the visitors. This does not mean though, you can use them as much as you want. They should be used strategically or it will be like as useless as underlining the whole book or the whole reading material as important.
12. Content Spam – Spam, specifically content spam is something that has been creating havoc problems for sites all over the world and for quite some time now. So, it is crucial that, you only allow legitimate and good quality content to be published and get associated with your content, otherwise you will be penalized.
After knowing about these points, it will become really simple to create and manage the right path for your site and its content. Getting penalized will not be a worry at that point of time, but remaining updated will prove to be extremely beneficial for future changes, usages and recuperation.