With the sunny summer months approaching, many community seniors face the risk of heat-induced illness such as sunburn, dehydration and heat exhaustion/stroke. Keeping this in mind, The Allure Group, a Brooklyn based nursing home consortium, offers a list of important rules to always keep in mind to stay healthy in the heat.
● Try to remain indoors with the air conditioning on. If the temperature is in the 90s or higher and you don’t have an air conditioner, go somewhere that has one, such as a shopping mall, library, senior center or movie theater. Fans can’t provide enough cooling in such heat.
● Save your daily walk or outdoor activities for when the weather is cooler, such as when the sun is going down or before it comes up.
● Drink lots of cold water, clear juices and other liquids that don’t contain alcohol or caffeine as these two can easily dehydrate you.
● Take cooler showers than usual, or sponge baths when you’re feeling warm. Wet wash-cloths or towels with cool water and put them on your wrists, ankles, neck and under your armpits to help cool down.
● Beware of heat stroke. Signs of heat stroke include an altered mental state, not sweating and nausea. If you see someone displaying these symptoms, seek medical care immediately.
“We all love being outside in the sun during these summer months but it is imperative we keep these basic safety rules in mind. The New York City sun is very powerful, and we must take all proper precautions to prevent any harm,” remarked Melissa Guglielmo, Chief Operating Officer at The Allure Group.
The Allure Group is a growing group of Brooklyn-based skilled nursing facilities and rehabilitation centers providing a high standard of care for patients of all ages and conditions. The Allure Group currently operates over 2100 beds throughout New York CIty. Through risk-sharing arrangements and management services, Allure Group drives administrative efficiencies, improves quality of care and stimulates economic conditions in the communities its nursing homes serve.
The Allure Group’s current Brooklyn facilities include Hamilton Park Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, located at 691 92nd St., reachable at (718) 567-1000 or online at www.hamiltonparkrehab.com. Linden Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation is situated at 2237 Linden Boulevard and can be called at (718) 649-7000 or found online at www.lindencenterrehab.com. Bedford Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation is located at 40 Heyward Street, and can be reached at (718) 858-6200 or via the web at www.bedfordcenterrehab.com. Crown Heights Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation is located at 810 St. Marks Avenue and can be called at (718) 467-7300 or found online at www.crownheightscenterrehab.com.