EBSCO Publishing has just released a new book summary. In times of relentless change, one can be certain of one thing—challenges and opportunities will present themselves that could not be imagined in today’s world. Knowing which skills will be required to succeed is a quandary. In 5 Minds for the Future, Howard Gardner discusses the need to master the “five minds” required to meet the demands of the future. Without the ability to master these minds, future inhabitants risk being overwhelmed by information, unable to succeed in the workplace, and unable to make personal and professional judgments needed to thrive. In an ever-changing world, no individual or organization can afford to rest on its intellectual laurels. The future is in the hands of those who make an active and life-long commitment for continuous learning.
Five ways of thinking are especially valued in today’s world and will be more so in the future:
1. The Disciplined Mind masters one or more ways of thinking. Without one or more mastered disciplines, individuals will not be able to fulfill the demands of the future workplace and will be relegated to menial tasks.
2. The Synthesizing Mind objectively learns and analyzes information from disparate sources. Without this capability, individuals will be overcome by increasing volumes of information, unable to make meaningful personal and professional decisions.
3. The Creating Mind introduces new ideas and explores new ways of thinking. Individuals who cannot operate outside of rule-based domains will be replaced in the workplace by computers.
4. The Respectful Mind is aware of and respects differences among individuals. In a future where diverse individuals are increasingly interconnected and working together, tolerance and respect are required for successful working relationships.
5. The Ethical Mind assesses how work efforts impact the needs and wants of society. People acting ethically think beyond self-interests and do what is right in the situation.
In addition to a 7-10 page summary of the book, each Business Book Summary includes a Key Concepts section that outlines the main points of the book, an About the Author section that informs readers of the author’s background as well as their additional written works, and a Features of the Book Section that explains the special features found within the book.
For busy professionals, Business Book Summaries from EBSCO provide an easy, quick way to stay on top of the best business books in the market. With many titles available in audio format, it becomes even easier to obtain the helpful information available in these top business titles.
For more information and to get free samples of Business Book Summaries, please visit www.bizsum.com.