Market surveillance will be stepped up to strengthen consumer protection and ensure a level playing field so that responsible manufacturers are not disadvantaged by unfair competition from non-compliant products.
Changes in EU Market Surveillance and Rules
Key changes approved by the European Parliament:
- The rules across all product sectors for manufacturers, importers and distributors will be clearer and more coherent to ensure the safety of all consumer products, leading to lower compliance costs for businesses.
- Safe and compliant products throughout the EU by means of a single set of coherent rules for market surveillance providing more effective tools for national surveillance bodies to enforce safety and take action against non-compliant products.
- Improved traceability enabling swift and effective responses to safety issues. Manufacturers and importers will have to ensure products or their packaging bears an indication of the country of origin of the product. Where products are manufactured in the EU, products may state the country of origin as the EU or a particular EU country.
- Better coordination of safety checks by the creation of a more cooperative system of market surveillance to eliminate unfair competition from dishonest or rogue traders.
- Streamlined procedures for the notification of dangerous products, and synergies between the existing Rapid Alert Information system (RAPEX) and the Information and Communication System for Market Surveillance (ICSMS).
With the agreement of the Council, Directive 2001/95/EC on general product safety and Council Directive 87/357/EEC on food-imitating products will be replaced by a new state-of-the-
The proposal will be submitted to the Council for its final approval. Once adopted by the Council the new legislation is expected to come into effect in 2015. Its rules will be enforced by the national market surveillance authorities in EU countries.
SGS will keep readers informed as developments progress.
European Commission press release (http://europa.eu/
About SGS Consumer Product Testing Services
Throughout a global network, SGS offers consultation and comprehensive testing services covering the full spectrum of international product safety and regulatory standard for a wide range of consumer products (http://www.sgs.com/
Please do not hesitate to contact the SGS experts for further information.
SGS Consumer Testing Services
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.