1) As soon as you decide to move, go through your house and throw stuff out! If you’ve not used it in a year, recycle it, sell it or give it to charity.
2) It is far better to have lots of smaller boxes that people can lift than just a few big boxes that no one can budge. Take my word for it!
3) Start packing early, it takes much longer than you think. Start with winter gear if it’s summer or vice versa, you’ll find there are loads of things that you don’t use every day and that can be packed in advance
4) Contact the post office so that your post gets forwarded to your new address.
5) Contact everyone who needs to have your new address – family and friends, but also your employer, the tax office, the electoral roll, the bank, your GP, your children’s school/nursery etc.
6) If you have pets, remember to change the address on their chip.
7) Now is a good time to compare home insurance and utilities’ providers to see whether you can save money elsewhere. Just check that you are not tied into an existing contract before signing up to anything new – you don’t want to end up with two contracts and double the expenses!
8) If you’re packing your own boxes, here is my top OCD tip – number the boxes and list what is in each box.
9) Find someone reliable to look after your children all day – moving always takes longer than you expect.
10) If you have dogs and cats, work out where they will be while you’re moving; we keep the dog in the garden and we choose one room in each house, that we don’t need to access (much), for the cats to be in.
11) Once you have moved everything into the new place remember that you won’t get everything unpacked the first day, or even the first week, so my suggestion is to get your children’s bedrooms and your bedroom ready first, then at least everyone can collapse into bed when they need to.
12) Try not to stress, moving house is tough but take it one step at a time and enjoy your new home.
13) Don’t forget to chill some champagne to toast your new home!
For more info on moving house and for a FREE quote Contact us now on 07799405307
Cumbria Removal Company