Announces Finalists for Coding Contest
2014 Finalists for “Dream it. Code it. Win it.” Contest will receive up to $70,000 in Cash and Prizes at Awards Ceremony in NYC on April 30th
NEW YORK– April 21, 2014– Dream it. Code it. Win it. was launched by TradingScreen, the MIT Club of New York, and The MIT Enterprise Forum of New York City as a contest to celebrate creativity and diversity in the computer science field. On Wednesday, April 30th, a panel of visionaries will award students prizes totaling up to $70,000, and discuss the ‘Future of Innovation in a Networked World’ at the Cooper Union Great Hall in New York City.
“Dream It. Code It. Win It. received over a 100 submissions from college and high school students across the nation. Ranging from robotics to mobile applications and websites, the submissions exemplify the myriad of opportunities to create within Computer Science today,” said Cristina Dolan, contest organizer, MIT Media Lab Alumna and Head of Content and Communications at TradingScreen.
TradingScreen is sponsoring the “TradingScreen Technology Entrepreneurship Award” for $10,000. The award will recognize the college student whose submission best demonstrates the attributes necessary to be successful in today’s competitive landscape: ingenuity, usability, practicality, creativity and quality.
First prize for Dream It. Code it. Win It. is $20,000, second prize is $15,000 and a third prize of $10,000. There is a “Prize for Innovation” of $5,000 and a female finalist will receive the $5,000 “Tekserve Prize for Women in Technology.”
A committee of judges selected the finalists over a period of three months. The finalists were selected based on creativity, quality of execution, and their ability to address a problem using Computer Science.
The top finalists at the college level are:
· David Taitz and Hikari Senju from Harvard College: “Balloon”
· Kevin Shi, Aman Grewal, Alyssa Davis, David Shekhtman, and Robert Walsh from The Cooper Union: “Mycrophone”
· Timothy Borny from James Madison University: “Oaddo”
· Stanley Martone, Thomas Nassr, Connor Croteau, Jennifer Lepore, Matthew Cameron, Matthew Logan, and Steve Oliveira from Quinnipiac Unviersity: “Kricket”
· Catherine D’Ignazio from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology: “The Babbling Brook”
· Gabriela Gualpa from Quinnipiac University: “Unbreak”
TradingScreen is also sponsoring the “Excellence in Creative Computer Science” award for the best High School submission.
“We’re extremely impressed by the overall caliber of submissions especially at the high school level,” said TradingScreen CEO and Co-Founder, Philippe Buhannic. “These young students were able to demonstrate their ability to creatively solve problems using computer science. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to recognize their creativity and achievements.”
“Future of Innovation in a Networked World and Dream it. Code it. Win it. Awards & Networking Reception” will be held on April 30th. The event starts at 5:30 PM at the Cooper Union Great Hall in New York, New York. To attend the event, register at techVISIONARIES . org
The Visionaries for the Future of Innovation Panel:
• Joi Ito - Director of the MIT Media Lab
• Philippe Buhannic - Co-Founder and CEO of TradingScreen
• Erik Nordlander - Engineering Partner at Google Ventures
• Mike Perlis - CEO and President of Forbes
• Jeanne Sullivan - Founder and GP of StarVest Partners
• Alex Diaz - VP of Product Management at Yahoo!
• Teresa A. Dahlberg - Dean, Albert Nerken School of Engineering, Chief Academic Officer, The Cooper Union
Interested press and analysts may contact:
Direct: +1 212-359-4149
About Dream It. Code It. Win It.
The “Dream it. Code it. Win it.” competition has been organized by the MIT Club of New York, MIT Enterprise Forum of New York City, and TradingScreen to celebrate and reward the creative aspects of computer science through its first competition in New York City. Computer programming is used in many fields, and learning how to code can be a fun and exciting way to empower students to pursue their dreams.
TradingScreen is the leading independent provider of liquidity, trading, and investment technology via SaaS to the financial community. TradingScreen’