Introduction of synthetic substitutes have changed our surroundings to a greater extend. Their use over natural material can be a reason for debate but importance & flexibility of Synthetic substances can't be ignored. However, Agro & Food based Industries should limit their use of artificial polymers.
Declination of Natural Resources & rapid Urbanization is the other major reason for this inclination. Plastics & Rubber Industry is no exception in regard. Various Plastics such as PVC, HDPE, LDPE, HDPE, Teflon, Poly-Ethene, Thermoplastics & many more substituted Wood & Iron to a accountable event. EPDM, Viton, Nitrile, Neoprene, Chloroprene, Hyplon, Silicone drastically improved quality & properties of Elastomer Compounds.
A recent introduction in Safety Equipments is introduction of Synthetic High Voltage Insulating Material replacing traditional Vulcanized Natural rubber Matting used earlier for the same purpose. Mats made from elastomer based material are highly dielectric and can resist Voltage up to 65KV DC & 240V AC for just 3mm thickness.
Other features are:
1. Do not catch Fire, fire normally extinguish on its own in few seconds.
2. No effect of Petroleum based products such as Paraffin wax, Transformer Oil, Lubricants, grease.
3. Hard wearing, little or no abrasion due to atmosphere or human movement over it.
4. Little or no effect of Climatic factors such as humidity & salinity, unlike its Natural counter part.
5. Feasibility of Customization & alternation like, special properties such as chemical, heat, oil proof.
6. Ease to handle & economical.
7. High Performance & Long Life.
There are several other parameters where purport of Synthetic against Natural should be accounted before being judgmental.
We are living in an Open system, new inventories will keep on changing our way & path. This flexibility is important for human race to survive. Wise people can raise numerous points both in favor & oppose but “Change” is the permanent attribute.
For other Technical Details related to use of polymers in manufacturing of dielectric safety equipments can be found on organization’