PRLog - March 20, 2014 - HONG KONG -- California Proposition 65 for Improved Consumer Product Safety
California Prop 65 reformulation of flame retardants and phthalates.
On 28 October 2011, California listed the flame retardant tris(1,3-dichloro-
In February 2014, SGS reported a number of Prop 65 settlements for flame retardants, including TDCPP, in:
1. Polyurethane (PU) foam-cushioned pads for children and infants to lie on, such as rest mats (4).
2. Foam-cushioned upholstered furniture (4).
3. Changing pads and seat cushions (4).
4. PU foam for use as component of another product (4)
Reformulation of Flame Retardants and Phthalates
In late 2013, a Prop 65 settlement regarding the use of the flame retardants TDCPP, tris(2-chloroethyl)
- Below or equal to 25 ppm each of TCEP, TDBPP and TDCPP (PU foam for use as component of another product, such as upholstered furniture) and
- Below or equal to 1000 ppm each of BBP, DBP and DEHP (folding chairs with vinyl / PVC upholstery).
The use of TDBPP has been regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) since April 1977 and is prohibited in children’s clothing (5).
Highlights of the consent agreement are summarized in Table 1 within the latest SafeGuardS bulletin (http://newsletter.sgs.com/
(1) Prop 65, Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) (http://oehha.ca.gov/
(2) Current Prop 65 (http://oehha.ca.gov/
(3) Proposition 65 in Plain Language (http://oehha.ca.gov/
(4) SafeGuards 25/14 (http://newsletter.sgs.com/
(5) CPSC Bans TRIS-Treated Children's Garments, CPSC Press Release # 77-030, April 1977 (http://www.cpsc.gov/
About SGS Services for Proposition 65
Throughout a global network of laboratories, SGS is able to provide a range of services, including analytical testing and consultancy, for flame retardants and other restricted substances in consumer products for compliance with Prop 65 (http://www.sgs.com/
Please do not hesitate to contact the SGS experts for further information.
SGS Consumer Testing Services
TJP Information and Innovation Manager
SGS Hong Kong Ltd.
1/F OnWui Centre
25 Lok Yip Road
Fanling, NT, Hong Kong, China
t: +852 2774 7420
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.