The report does the following:
- Provides a debit card market size and forecast through 2015, with supporting analysis of debit transaction and value growth within the context of card payments; debit transaction and volume by exempt and non-exempt issuers and by PIN versus signature debit network; and debit interchange revenue broken out in the same manner.
- Presents an overview of regulations affecting debit interchange, debit card routing, and overdraft protection that continue to shape the debit card and consumer banking competitive landscape. We also examine a recent court ruling that could upend the current debit framework, providing explanation and potential outcomes.
- Assesses issues and trends challenging debit card and consumer banking revenue growth, along with possible solutions. Themes covered included safety and security, checking accounts, overdrafts and hi-to-low-balancing;
- Assesses 2008-2013 debit card, credit card and prepaid card usage trends, including degrees of debit purchase engagement and credit card usage engagement; 2008-2013 checking account trends, including the degree to which checking account holders have investments and loan products over time; 2008-2013 debit card/credit card trends that explore the influence of debit card usage and engagement on credit card use and engagement; and 2008-2013 bill payment methods and payment instrument choices, comparing choices of checking account holders and debit cards holders to the average adult.
- Assesses 2010-2103 debit card usage and usage frequency trends, by card association brand, as well as credit card, debit card, checking and prepaid trends by key demographic groups: 18-24s, <$50K HH income consumers, and $100K+ HH income consumers.
- Relying on consumer survey data, Packaged Facts assesses various debit card usage rationale and influences, including consumer perceptions about debit convenience and safety in relation to cash and check, as well as spending control; bank account opening motivators, framed around the following themes: account costs, account maintenance thresholds, convenience, transparency and education, mobile capabilities, and prepaid options; checking account fee reduction incentives; and consumer attitudes toward debit card usage fees, pay-per-use fees, and inactivity fees. Most chapter analysis is performed according to a variety of demographics, and filtered by whether or not the respondent has a checking account/debit card.
- Analyzes Discover, MasterCard and Visa, three industry participants increasingly vying for debit network share. To assess the effects of regulatory change, we assess MasterCard and Visa quarterly debit volume and transition metrics; to assess consumer usage, we use survey data to trend MasterCard and Visa debit usage, purchase frequency, and cash back frequency during 2010-2013; and to provide associated demographic analysis for 2013
For more information on Debit Cards in the U.S., 5th Edition, please visit www.MarketResearch.com or http://www.packagedfacts.com/
About Packaged Facts – Packaged Facts, a division of MarketResearch.com, publishes market intelligence on a wide range of consumer market topics, including consumer demographics and shopper insights, consumer financial products and services, consumer goods and retailing, consumer packaged goods, and pet products and services. Packaged Facts also offers a full range of custom research services.
Please visit Packaged Facts on LinkedIn for more insights. Follow us also on Twitter (https://twitter.com/