Small changes in lifestyle at home can greatly affect our immediate and global environment, such as reducing landfill waste, airborne toxins and fumes, and preserving natural reserves. Brooklyn Queens Nursing Home shares five tips on going green at home, and calls on residents and members of the community to band together for greener and cleaner neighborhoods. To get involved, adopt some of these simple practices to make a positive green imprint on your community.
1. Give up disposable bags! Paper or plastic? Bring your own. Reusable grocery bags help to cut down on the amount of trees cut down to make paper bags and the amount of non-biodegradable materials from plastic bags.
2. Turn off your computer completely at night, instead of letting it overcharge. This will save on your energy bill, while also preserving your battery's lifetime.
3. Before making that new item purchase, do the research to see if it's something you could find from a yard sale or consignment shop, cutting down on landfill waste.
4. Replace one meal a week with a vegetarian option. Not only is it healthy for you, it saves hundreds of gallons of water (it takes 100 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of ground beef)!
5. Introduce houseplants to your home. They increase oxygen circulation and bring peaceful energy to a space.
“We're so fortunate to be in Brooklyn where so many green initiatives are already underway, and we are proud to join the cause,” said Marty Dicker, the Administrator at Brooklyn Queens Nursing Home. “The planet is the most important resource we have. It's our home above all else so we have to take care of it.”
Brooklyn Queens Nursing Home is a premier 140-bed nursing and rehabilitation care center that provides comprehensive inpatient care to all its residents. Located at 2749 Linden Blvd, Brooklyn, NY 11208, Brooklyn Queens’s professional and compassionate staff provides around-the-clock medical and nursing care in a caring and comfortable environment that centers around its residents. Brooklyn Queens offers outstanding short-term rehabilitation for individuals coming from an acute-care setting, as well as superior long-term care and hospice care. Brooklyn Queens Nursing Home has an exceptional staff of physical, occupational and speech therapists that carefully tailors unique recovery programs for each and every resident.