In 1850, the New Jersey Legislature created Ocean County and Brick Township, naming it for Joseph W. Brick, the industrious owner of Bergen Iron Works. At the beginning of the 20th century, Brick Township was a rural community. Up until the 1920s, postcards of the township were primarily architectural images.
Brick Township contains updated images of familiar names and places: Emma Havens Young, for whom an elementary school has been named; the very popular Red Lion Tavern, later called the Red Lion Inn; the progression of four bridges crossing Barnegat Bay to the peninsula area of Brick Township; and Traders Cove Marina as it looked in the 1950s when it was called Pleasure Cove Marina. There are postcards from summer camps, such as Camp NEJECHO and Metedeconk Summer Camp, and from summer resorts, such as Breton Woods, Riviera Beach, and Normandy Beach.
Join the Authors for a Book Signing!
465 Route 70, Brick NJ 08723
When: Saturday, March 15th, 2013; 11:00 a.m.—1:00 p.m.
Available at area bookstores, independent retailers, and online retailers, or through Arcadia Publishing at www.arcadiapublishing.com or
Arcadia Publishing is the leading publisher of local and regional history in the United States. Our mission is to make history accessible and meaningful through the publication of books on the heritage of America’s people and places. Have we done a book on your town? Visit www.arcadiapublishing.com.
by Gene Donatiello, John Leavey
Postcard History Series
128 pages/ softcover
Available: January 21, 2013