While you may doodle hearts on your V-Day card to your sweetie, it may mean more than you think. February is "American Heart Month" as the American Heart Association promotes their Go Red for Women campaign and here at SHARC we help support a healthy heart initiative. According to a statistic brought by the American Heart Association, Heart Disease is the leading cause of death in women, killing more women than all forms of cancer combined. So what is Heart Disease exactly? There are a number of different types including Arrhythmia, Cholesterol, Congenital defects, Diabetes, Heart Attacks, High Blood Pressure, Stokes and more. Most people don't notice the symptoms of heart disease until it's too late which is why the month of February is so important to SHARC.
Damon Amato, athletic trainer and SHARC nutritionist, urges members and his community to take all of their lifestyle choices into consideration when thinking about heart health. Your regular diet and exercise play a very important role. For example, "Heavy resistance training is better for your bone and heart health as it increases the muscle capacity of your heart. You should also decrease the total amount of carb intake," states Amato. As a seasoned nutritionist for fitness competitors to individuals who are severely overweight, he urges his members to make sure they are adding more omega 3 fatty acids to their diet and most importantly to get your vitamins from fruits, not pills! It is extremely important for you to evaluate what you eat and how frequently you exercise, but most importantly-
There are a number of ways to help fight and control your stress levels and stay within what the American Heart Association considers a "low stress zone". Signs of stress can vary from person to person and it is important to understand the different effects it may cause in order to preserve a healthy heart!
According to the American Heart Association, here are some common responses to how stress can affect you:
-Aches & Pains such as headaches, clenched jaw, and stomach issues
-Decrease in energy levels
-Trouble sleeping or feeling more tired than usual
-Anxiety, Anger or Depression
Look at what we have going all month long at SHARC that will be sure to get that heart of yours beating- even if it just means working out with your sweetie!
• Wear Red Raffle: Every time you wear RED to SHARC during the month of February you can enter into our raffle! Make sure you stop at the front desk to get your ticket and here's a hint: wear red SHARC apparel and double your chances!
• Healthy Heart, Happy Life: On Saturday, February 8th at 10AM and 11AM join special guest, Davide Ventura of the American Heart Association to learn how to keep your heart healthy!
• For the Lovers: Come work-out with your sweetie and indulge in some chocolate and bubbly after you sweat it out! Open to members and non- members but be sure to call as space is limited!
- Zumba Love: Wednesday, February 12th 6:30-7:30pm
- Zentastic Yoga: Friday, February 14th 6:30-7:30pm
- 15-Love Couples Social: Friday, February 14th 8-10pm
So this month, when you plan a big date on Valentine's Day, give your heart a little more attention and pencil in some one-on-one time with our nutritionist or fitness experts! Head on into SHARC and learn the necessary tools to living and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, while understanding how to minimize and fight off stress!
For more information or to sign up for the classes/programs above, please call 508-854-1000 or email us at email@example.com