Mold clean up should include these ten steps:
1. Proper worker protection. While cleaning and removing mold growth, the homeowners or company employees should wear the following safety gear that is readily available at hardware and home improvement stores: (a) N-95 breathing mask or 3M breathing respirator with organic vapor filters; (b) eye goggles with no holes (e.g., “ChemSplash”)
2. Contain the mold cleanup work area. Cleaning up and removing mold growth can throw large numbers of mold spores into the air. Keep such airborne mold spores from cross-contaminating other areas of the home or building by installing wall to wall, floor to ceiling clear plastic sheeting containment walls. You can buy a zipper door opening to install into wall from a home improvement store. Alternatively, cut a vertical slit in the containment wall and tape over the slit with a lift up plastic sheet.
3. Use a HEPA vacuum cleaner. Use, buy or borrow a good quality HEPA vacuum cleaner with a brand new HEPA filter to do an initial vacuuming of the floor, walls, moldy areas, and all furniture/possessions inside the mold containment area. Such HEPA vacuuming will clean up landed or deposited mold spores and loosen mold colony growths.
4. Do high output ozone treatment. Run a high output ozone generator for eight hours inside the mold containment area to kill mold spores and mold colony growth. Read about affordable, high quality ozone generators at www.ozonegeneratorkillsmold.com. In addition, use the hose attachment of your ozone generator to inject ozone for eight hours into the return air duct of your heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. There can be no people, pets, or live plants in the house or treated workplace during the ozone treatment session or for 2 hours afterwards.
5. Furniture cleaning. All furniture and possessions inside the mold cleanup area should be removed to the outdoors to be scrubbed thoroughly and completely with boric acid powder, dissolved one pound per gallon of hot water. In addition to the boric acid scrubbing, each item should be HEPA vacuumed again on all sides including the bottom and back sides.
6. Remove airborne mold spores during the mold removal process. Because the removal of physical growth will throw mold spores into the air, get rid of those airborne mold spores by running either a professional air scrubber machine that is directly vented by a flexible hose to the outdoors, or open a window inside the containment area and run a box fan in the window to exhaust indoor moldy air to the outdoors.
7. Remove visible mold growth. After the above steps, remove visible mold growth by cutting out and disposing of moldy building materials in 6 mil thick garbage bags or by using a wire brush attachment to an electric, portable grinder to peel off the surface mold growth.
8. Prevent future mold growth step one. After physically removing mold growth, spray either boric acid powder or EPA-registered fungicide Tim-Bor onto the mold-remediated clean up areas. Mix one pound of boric powder or Tim-Bor per gallon of hot water. Use a hand-pumped garden sprayer to spray the fungicide. Non-toxic Tim-Bor is available at www.timborprofessional.com.
9. Prevent future mold growth step two. After the completion of step 8, mix boric powder or Tim-Bor into latex glossy enamel, white paint with one pound of mold preventative per gallon of paint. Then paint all remediated surfaces and adjacent areas with the mold preventative paint.
10. Mold test the mold cleaned up area. After completion of the above steps, mold test the mold remediated surfaces for mold lab analysis to learn if the area has been effectively mold remediated. Do it yourself mold test instructions are available at www.moldexpertconsultants.com, or hire the nationwide EnviroFry firm to do professional mold inspection and testing.
You can get free mold clean up answers and help by emailing EnviroFry manager Phillip Fry firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning him toll-free 1-866-300-1616 or Phillip’s cell phone 1-480-310-7970.
The international mold services company EnviroFry serves homeowners and commercial building owners and managers in California, Arizona, the entire Midwest and Eastern USA, plus most of southern USA, Ontario Province, and most countries in Southeast Asia.