PRLog - Jan. 9, 2014 - MADISON, Wis. -- Artist Peter Campbell makes the case that OMS (odorless mineral spirits) should be totally avoided in the studio, just as much as turpentine. As Peter notes, "because the odor has been removed the artist is completely unaware of the massive exposure..."
peter- campbell- b.
Peter further writes: Turpentine’s toxicity is as bad as OMS but at least you can limit your exposure by using it sparingly. For years that has been my practice with a small cup of 50/50 linseed/turps as a medium. But now with Oil of Spike Lavender I have found the perfect solution. I substitute it for everything I would use Turps for, only I use less. Because Oil of Spike Lavender is a bit stronger in its solvent properties it requires a little less. A 30/70 ratio of Oil of Spike Lavender to Linseed Oil works for direct painting. For layers I start 50/50 then go to 30/70 to keep fat over lean. Oil of Spike Lavender has very low toxicity and still gives that gum like feel to the paint. It has a pleasant odor that is welcoming when I walk into the studio.
I must also tout the properties of the Art Treehouse’s Artist’s Solvent. I have used it for an initial wash block-on for large paintings letting it dry overnight. For this it works great though the drying time may be a bit longer if you use something other than quicker drying earth colors. I also use it for clean-up. It can even clean dried paint off my palette and with no toxicity.
Oil paint has always been my preferred medium. In the past I have always grudgingly accepted the health risks associated with my profession. I now feel I can work with much less worry and absolutely no sacrifice in methodology or results.
The full article can be found at https://arttreehouse.com/
The Art Treehouse
The Art Treehouse