“While any American is for progress-the progressive movement has little to do with progress.” Dr. Ronald J. Scott said. All of the themes in Scott’s book are related to the progressive ideology. “They range from economic indicators, motivations for certain perspectives on social and political issues, and attempts to engineer public sentiment,” Scott said.
The goal of the book is to build a foundation for a capstone book on the art of peace. Research for this book began in 2008. Much of the statistical analysis is original work presented at national conferences. One paper, entitled “Political and Economic Indicators of an Emergent Nation: The United States as a Case Study,” attracted a large, standing room only audience at a national conference in Las Vegas. “One of my slides that depicted the effect of marginal tax rates on unemployment rates and tax revenue generated apparently offended two attendees because they walked out of the presentation,”
Scott remains amazed at the emotional reactions to his manuscript. “The conversations in the book really do spark reaction-to include fear,” he said. “Some of my friends have expressed that they are not able to publicly support arguments being advanced in the book because of fears of reprisal from peers,” he said. “This is not the America I and my family committed 30 years of our life to defending over 18 different moves throughout the world.”
He believes that many of his fellow servicemen and women feel the same way. “Yet, when assessing what percentage of our American population has sworn to ‘support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic,’ that number is an amazing 7%. “How many of the remaining 93% truly understand what is at stake in terms of the American idea and how vulnerable it is from the insidious effect of progressivism?
The idea for the title of the book is based on an essay published in 1862 by John Stuart Mill. The title was “The Contest in America.” Three months after Mill’s essay, the British Punch Magazine published a cartoon with the caption, “The Sensational Contest in America.”
There is a contest in America and it is sensational. Mill’s essay and the cartoon [the book’s cover art] captured an earlier era in America that was “sensational,”
Scott describes the inspiration behind the book. “Two experiences inspired me to write the book. The first occurred during a trip to the DC area for a project dealing with counterterrorism. My role involved analysis of the al Qaeda ideology. As I walked through the Reagan airport for a flight home, I saw a book prominently displayed in the airport bookstore. The book was Whose Freedom? by Professor George Lakoff. This was my introduction to the progressive movement in America. I read the book and everything else Lakoff has written.”
“In the second experience, a good friend declared during a friendly conversation that he was a progressive—
Scott explains how he came up with Old Gadfly. “I have always been a student of the Socratic Method. I use this method in my teaching. Socrates was known to be a gadfly, challenging untested notions and assumptions. In his case, opposition culminated in a hemlock cocktail.”
“From personal experience, I have seen many conversations end with, “let’s agree to disagree.” I am disappointed that too many people do not have the courage and the open-mindedness to complete a conversation with the honesty of facts and evidence as opposed to settled beliefs. So, I decided to address progressive beliefs using fact- and evidence-based conversations between an American citizen with an inquiring mind, known as IM, and Old Gadfly.
Readers have expressed great enthusiasm for the book. "A different style, but well documented with a powerful message. Dr. Scott's book is written with original analysis and presented in an interesting Socratic format to make the reader think. While portions may be blunt, provocative, and even disturbing, the impact is profound for those who take the time to absorb it and badly needed in conversations on what matters in America."- Donn Kegel (USAF colonel ret.)
The book is available at Amazon.com and has a 5-star rating.
About Dr. Ron Scott:
Ronald J. Scott, Jr., Ph.D., is founder and principal consultant at Vectored Solutions, LLC. He served over 30 years in the U.S. Air Force as a command and instructor pilot in fighter and airlift aircraft, commanding units on global assignments and directing the Air Force’s global operations center at the Pentagon. He more recently consulted for a Washington-area applied research firm providing strategic analysis related to counterterrorism. He currently serves as an adjunct professor, teaching ethics and research methodology, and mentoring doctoral candidates through the dissertation process.
Website for more information:
Blog: Gadfly Corner at http://gadflycorner.blogspot.com/
Book Link: http://www.amazon.com/