An avid outdoor adventurer whose passion is long distance day hiking, Shelli shares personal stories as well as stories of others, combined with stunning images captured from the wilderness, to motivate and inspire people “to crank it up a notch” and to create and live their Epic Life – to create a life that takes their breath away.
In her presentations and work, Shelli dares you to live on purpose, to make each moment count.
10 reasons to hire Shelli
10. Shelli is not afraid of vulnerability, and often shares personal stories of hardship or lessons learned in an effort to give others permission to be vulnerable. Shelli believes change, and growth, can only occur if we allow ourselves to be vulnerable. In our ability to be vulnerable lies our ability to change. Shelli dares you to take risks and to chance failing in the interest of making change, and in becoming more.
9. Shelli will make you laugh. She is funny, and loves inserting humor in her life and work. Being able to laugh at ourselves is something Shelli believes is necessary to living a full, and fun, life.
8. Our life is a story. Shelli inspires you to not only create your story, but to play a leading role in the story – to be the hero in your life’s story. In Shelli’s coaching and epic adventure guiding, she works with clients on answering a call to adventure so they may embark on a Hero’s Journey (using the late Joseph Campbell’s monomyth concept as a template )
7. Shelli is an entrepreneur. She is often hired to share her entrepreneurial journey. She started her first business, Yellowstone Journal/NationalParkTrips.com, in 1994. As a tiny team operating from the frontier of Wyoming, it was hard to get anyone’s attention. Shelli shares her experiences about leveraging very limited resources in creative ways in order to do world class work and to build a successful business, against all odds. The journey had a great ending… After 15 years of innovating, she sold the business to Active Interest Media, which owns and publishes several lifestyle magazines including Backpacker, Yoga Journal, Climbing, Better Nutrition, American Cowboy, and more. If relevant, Shelli shares examples of struggles and triumphs that are part of the Hero’s Journey that is entrepreneurship.
6. None of us knows how much time we have. Shelli emphasizes that we should experience, or invest our time, rather than spend it. This means discovering our life purpose, which is an orientation, not a destination. In living on purpose, we need to make sure that every time we say Yes or No, doing so moves us closer to, or keeps us on purpose, rather than turning us away from it. Shelli uses wilderness experiences as metaphors to illustrate the importance of staying on course, and taking the time to contemplate where you are and where you’re headed.
5. People who hear Shelli’s presentations, or who work with her, are inspired to get up and do something. They are inspired to dare to live and play bigger in their lives.
4. Shelli will cause you to reflect on your own life and experiences, and to turn them into assets that can inform and serve your life. She will inspire you to trust in yourself.
3. An expedition is a journey with a purpose. Shelli believes life is an expedition, and our purpose is to follow our bliss. An epic life is not an easy life. But as a result of our struggles, re-routing and failures, we become more, and better. Our epic life is a hard-earned celebration. Influenced by Carol Dweck’s work, Shelli is an evangelist for operating and living with a growth mindset, instead of a fixed mindset.
2. Shelli believes we become more not in spite of our struggles, but because of them. Shelli dares you to go off trail and uphill, so that you may become more in the process.
1. When we reach the end of our life, we will reflect on the people who were, and are, in our life and recall the moments that brought us the most joy. Living our epic life is about taking stock, often, of the people and events in our lives. It’s about creating, and experiencing more unforgettable moments. And, it’s about doing work that matters to others, and adds meaning to our life. Shelli will inspire you to live your life more intentionally.
WHAT OTHERS SAY ABOUT SHELLI:
“Sometimes, in our lives, we meet exceptional people. People who inspire us, challenge us, and ask questions that force us to grow. These are the people whose voices become part of our inner monologue, and continue to challenge us and cheer us when they're not physically present. Shelli Johnson is one of these people. Since participating in her Epic Life program this summer, I have benefited tremendously from the lessons I learned-- lessons from nature, lessons from the other women on my journey, and the lessons I found within myself as a result of Shelli's deft coaching skills. When I signed up for this trip, I wanted to get in shape, see great scenery, and learn to read a map. I thought that life-coaching was something I'd have to swallow along the way, and was afraid I'd have to sing kumbaya and cry around the campfire. Six months later, I found myself wearing a trucker hat with a unicorn on it, being challenged to live my best life-- and I couldn't have been more intoxicated with the prospect of living it. This is what Shelli does. She meets you where you are, expertly identifies ways to make your life more epic, and then shows you that it was really inside you the whole time. My trip was a bit like Dorothy's journey in the Wizard of Oz-- I went on an amazing adventure, I was helped along the way by wonderful friends, I got a new pair of shoes (okay, hiking boots), and was given the opportunity to pull back the curtain on my own life. I'm not looking back.”
Mariah Cunnick, Director of Development at USA Swimming Foundation
"I was fortunate to be part of an audience of business/technology professionals Shelli presented to recently and I was blown away by her enthusiasm, passion and professionalism, as well as how she was able to authentically connect with her audience. It's no wonder Shelli has been so successful in her career as an entrepreneur and business woman. As a speaker, and I'm sure as a coach, Shelli has the knowledge and ability to inspire, motivate and help others accomplish their goals and live their dreams."
–Dayna Guzik, Founder of Big Dog Communications, and Pets in Our Hearts
Contact Shelli at - www.yourepiclife.com