We also have a blog : http://blog.cardkenya.org (http://blog.cardkenya.org)
Most of the ageing people have been neglected by their families and most of them feels ashamed of letting the world knows that they exist. They lack basic needs as shelter/housing, clothing and good food. Most of them never get to celebrate their life and often lacks good medication at a time when they need it most
This is the reason we visit different homes around the country and profile the old and ageing people and try to assist where we can to make their sunset years more enjoyable.
Celebrate Valentine With Elderly People
This is a plea to the online community to be part of this wonderful initiative where we are planning a new party for the elder people on 14th February 2014. This time most of us will be celebrating love with our loved ones. We are planning to hold the event in a designated place but the delegates will come around the county (5 Constituencies)
We are requesting for your kind support either through a small donation or telling a friend to do so. Any small donation will go into:
Buying good clothing for them
Buying nice shoes for them
Providing transport to the venue
Good and quality food for them during the event
Its such a good experience in making an old person smile as they welcome the coming year. You will receive blessings and more years in return.
A brief history of CARD Kenya
Centre for Ageing and Rural development (CARD) started as a community based organization in 2008 with aim of empowering and promotion of interests of older persons through research, policy analysis and the dissemination of information. CARD was established in 2008 and registered as community based organization. CARD efforts are geared towards alleviation poverty and improve the livelihood of the older person’s especially older women. Since inception the Centre has distinguished record as an independent nonprofit organization promoting interests of older people in rural areas. Centre for Ageing and rural development (CARD) is nonprofit entity motivated by humanitarian and development objectives working with older person for livelihood security and rural development in Kenya.
Centre for Ageing and rural development (CARD) is a community based organization, a non-profit, and non-sectarian. CARD is managed by 9 board members with the responsibility for policy formation and guidance of the organization. At program level CARD is administered by management team headed by Executive director, Programme Co-ordinator,2 project Officers, Accountant, and an administrative assistant. Members of the management team are the main programme personnel who develop and implement projects.
CARD is committed to bringing in a dynamic change for the older persons in terms of social participation & integration, economic security, macro societal change and development, healthy ageing, enhancing the physical and mental quality of life and ushering in care systems in diverse cultural, socio-economic and environmental situations.
CARD works directly with older persons, orphans, and vulnerable children to empower them to respond to their social conditions and participate in activities that improve their socioeconomic status.
CARD has successfully
• Advocated for older persons recognition under Kenyan Law –the new constitution and seeks their protection.
• Lobbied and continuously asks the Government of Kenya, the public and stakeholders to support Older Persons friendly policies.
• Campaigned for creation of awareness on the rights and entitlement of Older Persons.
• Advocated for a National Social Protection Policy and National Policy on Older Persons and Ageing.
• Worked very closely with the Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Development (MGCSD).
In specific terms, CARD has so far
• 25 older persons’ headed households had their houses renovated/built for new houses.
• 210 older people headed households caring for an average of 4 orphans benefited from capital for small businesses.
• 210 older people headed households received agricultural inputs and technical support.
• Strength HIV/AIDS programme among the elderly
• Strengthen the rural and micro enterprise programme.
• Establish elder abuse help line 24/7 in response to the increased elder abuse and infringement of rights and entitlements.
• Establishment of a model medical clinic/dispensary for the older people’s one of its kind in Eastern Africa.
• Establish an ultra modern elders nursing home.
The Center's organization structure is comprised of:
a) Management Board
b) Executive Director
c) Programme Co-ordinator
e) Project Officers II
f) Administrative Assistant
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Why should I contribute for this initiative :
Every one at one point will get old. We would like world to celebrate our old life with us. By contributing towards this initiative you will be setting precedence for everyone to take care of that old person. As we know old is gold.
2. How much will the initiative need to be successful :
The new year celebration event that we have planned to take place on February will attract about 120 old people. Every elder person budget is about 70 U.S Dollars. Thats a total of 120 * 80 = 9600 USD. The 80 USD is comprised of new clothes, new pair of shoes, transport to/fro the venue, good and traditional food, small stipend for everyone when leaving for their homes to be able to use later. The extra 1100 USD we have already organized for that through our personal contributions.
3. What if we get more contributions than the anticipated :
We will let you know of the event progress. Any extra money generated from the contribution will be utilized towards the old people welfare. This is improving their shelters, assisting those in medication have access to medicine and bringing more old people on board.
4. What if I dont have cash to contribute :
We would kindly request you make lots of noise to your colleagues and friends to be able to make that little contribution. We thank you all for visiting this page and making this event happen. God bless this community.