The addition of Copenhagen offers visitors the chance to experience one of Europe’s oldest and most fascinating capitals, either as a stand-alone city break or as part of a new rail tour of Scandinavian capitals, also taking in Stockholm and Oslo. Plus, Sweden’s third largest city, Malmö, is just a short hop across the awe-inspiring Öresund Bridge from Copenhagen, making an ideal two-centre short break itinerary or a day trip.
Sunvil’s expert travel team has also added twelve enticing new itineraries for 2014, ranging from Wildlife encounters in Sweden’s Västmanland, to The Sognefjord by public transport in Norway. Each itinerary is carefully designed to offer the visitor a unique perspective on the region’s diverse natural beauty, culture, wildlife and spectacular natural phenomena at different times of year, from the Aurora to the Midnight Sun.
Eleven new properties in Sweden, Norway and Copenhagen, each hand-picked for their location, charm, local culinary experience and warm welcome,
complement an extensive and appealing portfolio. Highlights include the Kirkenes Snow Hotel in Norway, artistically crafted each December from local
snow and ice, and the Aurora Safari Camp in Gunnarsbyn, Sweden, a luxury tented wilderness retreat inspired by the safari camps of East Africa.
An intriguing and multi-faceted city with no less than 13 Michelin-starred restaurants, Denmark’s capital, Copenhagen, has something for everyone. The historical heart, bounded by lakes, canals and waterways, is packed with medieval buildings, quaint cobbled streets and royal palaces. The island of Christianshavn is home to the city’s bohemian quarter and the Tivoli theme park, an oasis of green in the city, is perfect for families: year-round music, theatre and arts, cutting-edge architecture and thrilling rides. Prices from £449 pp (two sharing) for three nights’ B&B at the Hotel Ibsen including return flights (Heathrow) (see pages 108-113).
Copenhagen also features in Sunvil Discovery’s new, four-night Short break in Malmö and Copenhagen itinerary (page 27), and in a new, 14-night Capitals of Scandinavia:
NEW ITINERARIES, INCLUDING:
· A three-night Wildlife Encounters in Sweden’s Västmanland trip. Explore the area by boat, kayak, bicycle or on foot and track down the region’s abundant wildlife with expert wilderness guides on hand: moose, beaver, wolf, brown bear, rare types of woodland grouse, the great grey owl and more. Prices from £490 pp (two sharing) including flights (Heathrow), car hire and B&B (page 15).
· A four-night Fjällbacka, the Koster Islands and Weather Islands itinerary to discover the essence of Swedish island life and the rugged beauty of the West Coast. Prices from £751 pp (two sharing) including return flights (Heathrow), car hire and B&B (page 37).
A seven-night trip to The Sognefjord by public transport offers the chance to soak up magnificent fjords, towering mountains, dazzling glaciers and thundering waterfalls by train and boat. Prices from £1,359 pp (two sharing) including return flights (Heathrow), public transport, a private transfer on departure and a 48-hour Bergen card (page 82).
NEW PROPERTIES, INCLUDING:
· Kirkenes Snow Hotel, Kirkenes, Norway: this unique and beautiful structure is created entirely out of snow and ice from the shores of nearby Langfjord, taking a different form each year. Each of the 24 snow rooms is decorated with hand-carved scenes. Prices from £972 pp (two sharing) including one night at the Snow Hotel and two nights at the Hotel Thon Kirkenes on the harbour front, B&B, return flights (Heathrow) and transfers (page 93).
· Aurora Safari Camp, Gunnarsbyn, Sweden: a luxury tented camp offering an intense and authentic flavour of life in the wilderness, and a retreat from the stresses of modern life. Guests on this extraordinary adventure enjoy a comfy night’s sleep in lavvu tents, local culinary experiences and the chance to witness the Northern Lights overhead. Prices from £1,133pp (two sharing) including flights (Heathrow), transfers, one night’s half board at the Aurora Safari Camp, plus two nights’ B&B at the Sorbyn guesthouse (page 46).
· The House on the Outside, Ringstad, Norway: A simple, owner-managed sea-house, located on the remote island of Langøya in the northwest of the Vesterålen archipelago, rich in bird life, otters and fish. The English owner is a trained kayak guide, ornithologist and photographer and offers a range of excursions that can be pre-booked. Wonderful, local, home-cooked food – moose, grouse and shellfish – is served in the restaurant. Prices from £1,074 pp (two sharing) including returning flights (Heathrow), seven nights’ half board and car hire (page 91).
Brochure lead-in price: Three nights’ B&B at Hotel Ibsen in Copenhagen cost from £449 pp (two sharing) including return flights (Heathrow).
For a copy of Sunvil’s brand-new 2014 real Scandinavia brochure or to speak to an expert, call 020 8758 4747 (http://www.sunvil.co.uk).
Ends 12 December 2013
Press: For more information and photography please contact Sarah Belcher at Travel PR on 020 8891 4440 or email email@example.com.
Note to editors: Sunvil has pioneered many specialist destinations in its 44-year history and has been at the forefront of environmental initiatives and Sustainable Tourism for well over 25 years. Sunvil consistently promotes owner-managed hotels and local tourism enterprises across all destinations in which it operates. Sunvil also uses local suppliers and representatives wherever possible and encourages its suppliers, through many initiatives, to protect and treasure their local environment.