As Christmas edges closer, people eagerly count down the last few days of the year until the festive season and their few days of holiday kick off. As human beings, it’s natural that we only tend to think of ourselves and not the people who give up their holiday season to make sure that we get to experience and indulge in all things festive.
The food franchising industry gets no rest and relaxation during the festive season, they work more and harder than any other time to ensure that customer satisfaction is in full force.
As franchisees it is vitally important to keep the staff happy and motivated to work to their best abilities as customers will be flocking through the doors at rapid rates and expecting the best of the best service.
It is therefore important to recognise that you staff have had a long and tiring year too, so demonstrate that you are grateful of their efforts. After all if your staff weren’t there, your doors would not be open. Show appreciation to your staff because they would most probably love to spend this time with their families too, but know that they have to provide for their dependents so they are at work with, a smile on their faces.
Perhaps consider the following tips to gear up your staff for the festive season:
· Incentives – we all know that if your work gets recognised, you perform better. Incentives do not only push for harder work but they are also a great way of showing your appreciation. Inform your staff of incentives that will be awarded for the best service, happiest staff member, most customers serviced, etc. It need not be expensive, it can be as simple as a meal voucher.
· Motivation – keep the spirits in your store high. Remind your staff that December will be super busy but that it also means that they can make bigger tips than normal. Money motivates people, so remember to remind them about overtime payments too.
· Respect – treat your staff how you would want to be treated. Respect goes a long way and is always valued.
· Rosters – ask your staff who would like to work more and who may prefer to work less where possible. There will always be someone who will want to put in more hours as they know that they will make more money but make sure that your work roster is fair and that your employees needs are also taken into consideration.
· Atmosphere - let the atmosphere be that of a celebration as it will make the work load less stressful and it will make them feel part of the festive cheer.
This is a special time of the year for holiday-makers, so don’t let the December rush and unmotivated staff spoil your customers’ festive season.