The new system replaces the Patient Environment Action Team (PEAT) assessments, and the patient assessors – specially trained representatives from the local area who can look at the assessment from the patients’ perspective – have access to all the areas including wards, pre-admission, treatment rooms and the out-patients department.
The first round of assessments has already provided valuable feedback. For instance, at Shepton Mallet NHS Treatment Centre the assessors inspected the signage to ensure that it was clear for people with poor eyesight or who may have dementia as part of their consideration of patient independence and dignity. In addition, the team was particularly happy to hear that patients told the assessors the care they received was excellent.
Results from the PLACE inspections have also rewarded the commitment of colleagues to achieving the highest standards. Southampton NHS Treatment Centre scored a perfect 100 percent cleanliness rating and Claire Evennett, the centre’s infection prevention and control lead, was thrilled with the result. She said: “We were delighted when the report came back. Each week, I walk around the hospital with the cleaning supervisor, inspecting and trying to see problems before they occur.”
These first PLACE assessments confirmed that Care UK’s treatment centres are clean and hygienic, with an overall rating of 98.9 percent; that they preserve patients’ privacy, dignity and wellbeing, with an overall rating of 89.7 percent; and that they are in good condition, with an overall rating of 91 percent.
Care UK operates 11 treatment centres on behalf of the NHS:
- Barlborough NHS Treatment Centre in Derbyshire, which specialises in hip and knee replacements and revisions, anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, arthroscopies, spinal surgery, day case procedures including minor and intermediate hand and foot procedures and shoulder repairs and replacements.
- Cirencester NHS Treatment Centre in Gloucestershire, which provides dental surgery, ear, nose and throat procedures, general surgery, gynaecology, joint replacements, minor orthopaedic surgery, pain management and urology.
- Devizes NHS Treatment Centre in Wiltshire, which offers dental surgery, ear, nose and throat procedures, endoscopy, general surgery, gynaecology, joint replacements, minor orthopaedic surgery, ophthalmology and urology.
- Eccleshill NHS Treatment Centre in Yorkshire, which provides day case surgery in orthopaedics, endoscopy, gastroenterology, urology, gynaecology, minor plastic surgery, general surgery and diagnostic services including MRI, CT, ultrasound and x-ray.
- Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre near Bristol, which offers general surgery, endoscopy, gynaecology, urology, hip, knee, elbow, hand, foot and ankle procedures, diagnostic imaging, ear, nose and throat procedures, ophthalmology and pain management.
- North East London NHS Treatment Centre in Essex, which provides oral surgery, orthopaedics, ophthalmology, general surgery, gastroenterology, urology and endoscopy.
- Peninsula NHS Treatment Centre in Devon, which specialises in joint replacements and minor orthopaedic surgery, including hip and knee replacements, shoulder repair and hand and elbow surgery. It also provides cataract surgery and diagnostic services including MRI and ultrasound.
- Shepton Mallet NHS Treatment Centre in Somerset, which offers general surgery, orthopaedics, endoscopy, gastroenterology, gynaecology, urology, diagnostic imaging, ear, nose and throat procedures, ophthalmology and pain management.
- Southampton NHS Treatment Centre in Hampshire, which provides endoscopy, general surgery, gynaecology, ophthalmology, oral surgery, orthopaedics, pain management, urology and ear, nose and throat procedures.
- St. Mary’s NHS Treatment Centre in Hampshire, which offers ophthalmology, orthopaedics, general surgery, gastroenterology, diabetic retinopathy, x-ray, ultrasound and echocardiogram scans.
- Will Adams NHS Treatment Centre in Kent, which provides orthopaedics, urology, cataract surgery, general surgery and gastroenterology.