When a tax residence certificate is required: There exist certain situations in which a tax residence certificate issued by the Hong Kong tax authority is required. These cases may include:
* when Chinese tax authorities are suspicious of the applicant's resident status
* when documents submitted are not adequate to establish resident status of the applicant
* where a legal business entity, registered outside Hong Kong, argues that its management is within the country
* when an individual declaring residence in Hong Kong stays within the country only for a very short period of time
Required documents: In order to obtain a Hong Kong tax residence certificate, the below mentioned documents are required submissions to the Hong Kong tax authority:
* a letter requesting residence issued to the Hong Kong tax authority from the Mainland tax authority (at the province level or higher)
* Completed relevant application form for resident status issued by the Hong Kong tax authority. There are two versions available
* one for the companies incorporated in Hong Kong
* another for companies not incorporated in Hong Kong
In some cases Hong Kong may issue the respective tax residence certificate. However, the Mainland China tax authority may need to authenticate this certificate.
Hong Kong incorporated companies may find the new application process more simplified than previously. Conversely, non-Hong Kong incorporated companies may find the process more difficult to establish tax resident status.
For more information about doing business overseas (http://www.nair-
International Business Guide (IBG) (http://www.nair-
Get the latest news releases and updates on international tax, HR, Finance, compliance and other legal news at Nair & Co. Industry Alerts (http://www.nair-
About Nair & Co.
Nair & Co. provides you with your one touch outsourced finance, HR, legal and global tax compliance department for your international operations. If you are expanding abroad for the first time or increasing your global footprint, our turnkey solutions help you do so with minimal risk, stress and cost. We support 1000+ client operations in over 56 countries and have core offices in U.K., India, China, U.S., Japan and Singapore. Nair & Co. was named among the top 100 outsourcing services providers in the world by the International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP). Learn more at www.nair-co.com
Read more on:Global HR Best Practices (http://www.nair-