by Trevor Mitchell and Peter Maslin
The Classic Motor Show at the NEC is fast approaching once again. It will take place on November 15-17, and the UK based Mercedes-Benz Club (the oldest Mercedes-Benz Club in the world) will have a very prestigious Stand in the Premier Hall 9 of the Show. Stand Number 9-400. Today with 10,000 members this Club was founded away back in 1952 and is the only UK Club recognised by Mercedes-Benz in the UK and Daimler in Germany.
Free prize draw
There will also be entry forms on the stand for the chance to win a free Brittany Ferries return crossing to Santander for two people and their car.
Among the cars on the Stand supplied by Club members are
Keith Ryall’s 300SL
This car was produced in 1955 as a special display model and specifically prepared for the Canadian International Fair in Toronto.
Last year was the 60th anniversary of the SL and to celebrate Keith displayed this superb Gullwing at the Salon Privé concours d’elegance at Syon Park, London.
Wolfgang Rauch’s 190SL
The 190SL was announced early in 1954 as a smaller version of the 300SL, but production did not commence till 1955. It continued until 1963 and in total 25,881 cars were built. The 1,897cc four-cylinder engine, fitted with two Solex carburettors, produced 105hp, giving a maximum speed of 106mph with nought to 62mph reached in 14.5seconds.
Michael Morrison’s 300SE
Michael bought this car in 2008, “knowing less of it’s history than would have been preferable,”
An ambition of his had been to enter this car for the Brooklands Double 12 and last year he had an opportunity to enjoy it for the event’s press day in February. Other attendances of note were the Ponton Rally in Munich in 2010 and the ‘Mercedes-
Geoffrey Hunter’s 600
The Grand 600 was more than the flagship of the range; it was Mercedes-Benz’
Under the bonnet sits MB’s first V8, the renowned M100 engine that went on to power two subsequent generations of super-saloon – the W109 300SEL 6.3 and the W116 450SEL 6.9. Equipped with mechanical fuel injection, this engine puts out 250bhp, after powering a host of ancillary equipment, more than enough to endow the substantial mass of limousine with a surprising turn of speed and agility.
Alan Cross’s 250SL
The 230SLwas introduced to the market at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1963 as the replacement for the 190SL and 300SL. It created quite a lot of interest with its large glass area and the very distinctive concave roof line, which immediately gave rise to the name ‘Pagoda’ as it resembled that typically Chinese roof style.
This particular car has been owned by Alan Cross for the last 25 years and is a 1967 250SL. It is fitted with a sideways facing rear seat intended for occasional use and has a few modern fittings to enhance its driving pleasure.
Pani Georgiou’s 240D
The W115 240D was introduced in 1973 at the Frankfurt Motor Show and remained in production till 1976. In total 131,319 cars were built. The diesel engine fitted to this model produced 65hp and propelled the car from nought to 62mph in 24.6 seconds, with a top speed of 85.7mph.
This example has been in the same family since it was purchased new by the present owner’s father, Makis Georgiou, in 1976 for £7,356 from a dealer in Birmingham.
After the body had received a new paint finish the body chrome and bumpers looked a little worn so the decision was taken to replace them. This was easier said than done and whilst some parts were obtained from Mercedes-Benz dealers for others it was necessary to search worldwide. Pani won the Master Class and ‘Best Car of the Day’ award at the Club’s National Concours this year.
Brian Ellis’s SL60 AMG
The R129 SL was introduced in 1989, replacing the previous, long running R107 SL made famous in the television programme Dallas.
This car was first registered on June 6 1997, having been purchased from Malaya Garages (Crawley) Ltd, but was collected by its owner from the AMG factory in Germany and driven back to the UK. It is believed to be one of only 29 face-lift right-hand-drive SL60s and was ordered with every option AMG offered at the time, with a list price of £114,830.26. It was also specified as ‘de-restricted’
It was acquired by Club Member Brian Ellis from its original owner in September 2010 and it was then subjected to a complete but sympathetic restoration, keeping the car exactly to the original specification as it left the AMG factory. The car was fully re-commissioned, MoT tested and re-registered as 2 PBE in April 2011. It is now used regularly on Club events, including a tour of northern Spain, a trip to the Mercedes-Benz factory in Stuttgart, National Weekends at Berkley Castle and Ironbridge, and the National Concours at Milton Keynes for the past two years.
Own a Mercedes and not a Club Member of have an interest in the Mercedes marque ?
You will be very welcome to come along to the Club Stand at the Show in the Premier Hall 9 and see the above cars and talk to their owners and Club Officials
New Members joining the Club at the Show will receive a discounted membership rate, FREE Club 60th Anniversary Year Book and Meguiars Polish Kit.
The Club carers for all ages and models of Mercedes including the Smart range. Membership benefits include a glossy 84 page monthly magazine, access to discounts on insurance, ferry crossings, parts and service costs etc, free technical advice, online forum, social and driving events, nationally and internationally as well as local events and Pub Meets held regularly throughout the UK & Ireland.
Further details on the Club from Catherine Barlow Tel 0845 6032660