Contact Conrad Lenckos
Medication Adherence Program unveiled to eliminate non-compliance readmissions
Medication Non-Compliance – a Primary Cause of Hospital Preventable Readmissions
Chicago – Sept. 18, 2013 – CareTrax™, specialists in Readmission Reduction strategies, announces a Medication Adherence Program for Providers, Pharmacies and Payers. Recognized as a major contributing factor to preventable readmissions, the ability to enforce Medication Adherence has long eluded the industry.
While most Americans understand the importance of taking prescribed medication as directed, those who skip or forget doses often don’t understand the health consequences of medication non-adherence. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC), medication non-compliance is having a significant negative – and growing – impact on population health:
· Between 20% to 30% of medication prescriptions are never filled
· In 50% of cases, patients do not continue medication as prescribed
· Rates of medication adherence drop after first six months
· About 25% to 50% of patients discontinue statins within one year of treatment initiation
· The number of Americans affected by at least one chronic condition requiring medication therapy is expected to grow from 133 to 157 million by the year 2020 (WHO)
The financial affects of medication non-adherence are equally startling:
According to a New England Health Institute study, the U.S. wastes $317.4 billion annually treating medical complications that could have been avoided had patients taken their medications as prescribed
· Non-adherence costs $2,000 per patient in physician visits annually
· Conversely, improved self-management of chronic diseases results in an approximate cost-to-savings ratio of 1:10
· Each incremental 25% increase in proportion of days covered (PDC) for statins is associated with ~3.8 mg/dl reduction in LDL cholesterol
· For CHF and COPD, only 3% of patients who filled a disease-related prescription after being discharged required hospital readmission within 30 days. However, among patients who did not fill a post-discharge prescription, readmission rates jumped to 6% for COPD patients and 20% for CHF patients
The CareTrax™ Medication Adherence Program
CareTrax™ has unveiled a program to increase medication adherence incorporating:
CareTrax™ employs a web based, device-neutral, application-
Currently, over 120,000 patients are regularly contacted for post discharge symptom analysis, in addition to programs for medication reminders, chronic disease management, surgical procedure instructions, physician appointment reminders, clinical drug trial reporting, burn patient contraction monitoring, to mention a few. Not only have these programs shown positive changes in behavior, they also result in better patient quality, staff efficiency and reduced labor costs.
CareTrax™ is a privately held firm that specializes in reducing hospital readmissions and improving efficiency through the use of technology. With headquarters in Chicago, Illinois and regional locations in New York, California, and Texas we offer providers, pharmacies and health plans programs to improve the quality of patient care and reduce the overall operating costs of our clients.
To learn more visit our website at: http://www.caretrax.com/