The study showed that:
· nearly a third (32%) of all holidaymakers, both those going on holidays in the UK and abroad, hire a car;
· overall, 63% prebook their vehicle hire independently of their holiday package;
· males are more likely to book their car hire independently than their female counterparts (67% vs 57%);
· 29% of lady drivers book their car as part of their holiday package compared to just 11% of men;
· one in five male motorists (22%) like to sort their hire vehicle when they arrive at their destination compared to just over one in ten females;
· of those who have hired a car, just over two-thirds of holidaymakers (69%) have never experienced any problems;
· 31% of people reported that the car they collected was damaged.
When asked whether they took out car hire excess insurance, the study highlighted how 75% of holidaymakers do buy the cover – with 50% purchasing it direct from the car hire company and 25% buying it independently online.
A spokesman from www.AnyCarHire.com says: “It was surprising to see just how many people hire a car when going on holiday, and that a large number of them book independently of their holiday package. There are many ways to save money on your holiday and using an independent car hire facility is just one way to bring the cost of your holiday down.”
*Independent research carried out on behalf of Anycarhire.com by Usurv Sept 2013