The overarching results reveal organizations regard their current application release processes as deficient and are actively seeking to automate “the last mile” of their release process as they look to automate their enterprise application release management to a greater degree.
The survey also indicates organizations are actively looking to implement solutions that help them move away from expensive, error-prone “big bang”releases and towards a continuous delivery approach.
Key Application Release Automation Trends:
* 75% of respondents give their deployment process a failing grade.
* Deployments fail 10-30% of the time.
* 57% of respondents feel there is room for improvement in their release process.
* 48% say inconsistency across their environment and applications is their biggest challenge in the deployment process—followed by dependency on expert resources (40%)and processes that move too slowly (38%).
* 29% list increased efficiency as the top benefit of deployment automation followed by release acceleration (23%) and error elimination (19%).
Continuous vs. Manual Application Deployment and Delivery
Organizations are actively researching solutions that will eliminatemanual deployments, which require a greater effort in terms of scripting and troubleshootingthat also increases in direct proportion to deployment volume. In contrast, with continuous delivery the focus shifts to building a deployment pipeline first, allowing for any number of deployments in a given time period without significantly impacting cost. Ongoing investments are capitalized due to the regular release of new features.
“Our survey indicates a clear need for automation in the application release process,” said CoertBaart, XebiaLabs CEO ( http://www.xebialabs.com ). “We are also seeing a trend towards choosing “off-the-shelf”
More than 130 DevOps executives from mid to large-sized companies responded to the survey between October 2012 and January 2013. XebiaLabs asked participants to share their current release management process and pain points as well as their key initiatives for 2013. The survey’s margin of error was plus or minus five percent.
To view the complete Application Release Automation Trends survey results, visit: Http://go.xebialabs.com/
Press & Media Contact:
VP of Marketing
98 North Washington Street
Boston, MA 02114 - USA