Here is what Multishoring.info - the largest organization of IT consultants who specialize in nearshore and offshore IT development in Poland - have found out and compiled based on information gathered from Microsoft’s representatives and Microsoft’s website. You should be aware that you are solely responsible for your purchasing decisions and license rights you obtain from Microsoft.
- No nominal price increase. However, it will cost more for customers deploying to physical machines with processors above 4 cores.
- Some customers may benefit from purchasing additional licenses in advance of this change (1st of April, 2013).
- Rules for conversion will be indeed the same as for SQL Server 2012
Shall I buy BizTalk licenses now?
- If you have BizTalk license 2010 or older without Software Assurance there is no need to do anything. You have perpetual (fixed) right for the processor and there is no need (and no possibility either) to do anything.
- If you are considering to buy license in the near future and anticipate that over the next two-four years you might need more processing power than 4 cores this is good time to put some thinking into it and maybe place the order with Microsoft reseller prior to this change.
- When you buy BTS 2010 with SA and do nothing at the end of SA period you are going to get 4 cores. However if you run Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) toolkit and send the result to Microsoft at the end of your SA period you will get up to 20 core licenses. At the end of this period you may decide whether you are going to continue with buying SA (might be quite expensive with 20 cores) or not.
Here are some scenarios:
No hurry, buy when the project time would come, buy Lic only or Lic+SA depending on your strategy and benefit analysis of SA. Do this when there is high risk of not starting BTS project at all.
Buy in March 2013 Lic only. You get 2010 without upgrade rights, stay with 2010 version. In most cases not advisable.
Buy in March 2013 Lic+SA, find a single processor-many-
You have 8 core processor, install on it BTS 2010 or wait till April and do it with 2013, wait till the end of your SA period (2 years on average), claim your cores. You end up with 8 core licenses.
Install it on whatever you want (or put it on shelf), prior to the end or your SA period find a single processor-many-
Processors that require/convert-
- AMD 31XX, 32XX, 41XX, 42XX, 61XX, 62XX Series Processors with 6 or more cores have Core Factor of 0.75
Multishoring.info is the largest organisation of IT consultants specialising in nearshore and offshore IT development in Poland. The company's offer is addressed to companies from all over the world which want to reduce the costs of IT projects by having them implemented in countries characterised by lower costs, but at the same time culturally and geographically close. Multishoring.info's offer includes: technology consulting and development related to such solutions as BizTalk, Oracle EBS, TIBCO, Webmethods, Salesforce, inRiver, EPI Server, Jeeves, Google App Engine and mobile solutions. An important part of Multishoring.info's offering is IT help desk outsourcing and taking over the support and maintenance of IT systems used in enterprises. More information: