According to dermatologist and hair surgeon Dr. Leila Bloch, a member of the Brazilian Society of Dermatology, the Brazilian Society for Dermatological Surgery and the ISHRS - International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, maintaining a balanced diet can alleviate hair loss. http://www.clinicabloch.com.br/
"The hair may fall at accelerated speed through a phase of more intense expression of balding, but generally fall more rapidly by other causes such as vitamin deficiency, iron and protein, excessive oiliness, thyroid problems or other causes less frequent", says the expert.
Dr. Bloch emphasizes that fried foods, foods high in fats, such as sweets, can lead to increased seborrheic dermatitis, which indirectly causes inflammation of the bulb and hair to have a shorter cycle or fall faster. "Shortening the cycle can cause a decrease in hair volume, especially in people already prone to developing genetic androgenetic alopecia (baldness),"
About using nutritional supplements, Dr. Bloch believes that they are useful, but that people who choose not to use them should adhere to a healthy diet, rich in nutrients and exercise. "The results are reinforced with a combination of all the elements", says the doctor.
Taking supplements with the aim of decreasing hair loss, Dr. Bloch states that it is essential to consult with a medical specialist for a proper evaluation and guidance on usage, dosage and duration of use, because the overdose can lead to the development of allergies.
"In addition, some types of diet supplements should not be taken by children, pregnant women, nursing mothers and patients with liver or kidney problems" warns Dr. Leila Bloch.
Check out some foods suggested by the dermatologist that assist in strengthening hair follicles:
- Dried fruits such as walnuts, almonds or cashew nuts, are important foods for the health of hair follicles;
- Whole foods that are rich in B complex, iron, magnesium and zinc, as well as chickpeas are rich sources of protein and iron;
- Foods rich in vitamin E for its antioxidant action, such as wheat germ and sunflower seed oil, for example, help combat the amount of free radicals generated daily by stress, pollution, amongst other factors;
- Sardines and tuna, rich in Omega 3, are also important antioxidant foods;
- Foods rich in vitamin B, zinc, copper, selenium, protein, iron, vitamin A, assist in strengthening of the immune system, making the absorption of other nutrients facilitated;
- Drink plenty of water as it helps the absorption of nutrients.
By Carmen Sanches