In 1963, Madalyn Murray O'Hair won a lawsuit against the Baltimore School System, which voted in her favor 8-1 to ban school prayer and label it "unconstitutional"
Here are some shocking statistics that may help you change your view on putting God back into schools:
1. For 15 years before 1963 pregnancies in girls ages 15 through 19 years had been no more than 15 per thousand After 1963 pregnancies increased 187% in the next 15 years.
2. For younger girls, ages 10 to 14 years, pregnancies since 1963 are up 553%.
3. Before 1963 sexually transmitted diseases among students were 400 per 100,000. Since 1963, they were up 226% in the next 12 years.
4. Before 1963 divorce rates had been declining for 15 years. After 1963 divorces increased 300% each year for the next 15 years.
5. Since 1963 unmarried people living together is up 353%
6. Since 1963 single parent families are up 140%.
7. Since 1963 single parent families with children are up 160%.
8. Since 1963 violent crime has increased 544%.
9. Illegal drugs have become an enormous & uncontrollable problem.
10. The nation has been deprived of an estimated 30 million citizens through legal abortions just since 1973.
Information obtained from http://www.sicknesshope.com/
Ricky Sinclair stands firm on knowing that prayer in schools is vital to the success of our younger generation. As you can see through the statistics, that since prayer has been taken out of school our society has declined in many areas. This nation was founded on one God, "One Nation Under God". We have to face the fact that many homes do not teach their children about God and so therefore it has to be introduced somewhere. All good moral values come from the basis of the Bible such as do not steal, do not lie, and do not commit murder. If our homes our not teaching the children these morals then it is the responsibility of the community to instill these values. As you may have heard, it takes a village to raise a child. The schools are included in the village.
The 1st Amendment of the Constitution gives the freedom of expression consists of the rights to freedom of speech, press, assembly and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, and the implied rights of association and belief. So how is prayer not included in this amendment? Sinclair believe if we are going to teach our children something why not teach them something positive. There is nothing about prayer that could actually lead a child down a life of destruction, where on the other hand according to statistics, without prayer our children our going down a life of destruction. The schools are not here to force one belief over another but merely allow the opportunity for the belief that already exist to flourish.
Ricky Sinclair founded All the Way House substance abuse program in Baker, La. After speaking with many of the residents over the years, he has found out that if God could have been a part of their lives during childhood it may have prevented some of the negative choices they have made. Many residents claim that their parents did not teach them about God or prayer and they did not ever go to church to hear about it. They say that the one place they could have had an opportunity to know would have been from school.
School is the one place children are for 7-8 hours a day. Some parents are not even around their own children for that many hours in a day due to work or their own selfish desires. So if it takes a village to raise a child, who has the most opportunity to reach and teach these children the good morals they need to live a life that can lead to success. The schools.
Ricky Sinclair (http://www.rickysinclair.com) is the bishop of Miracle Place Church (http://www.miracleplacechurch.net). A religious organization that provides a long list of services to the community, Miracle Place Church is cherished by its congregation and the many individuals whom they impact. Ricky Sinclair provides strong leadership to the members of the church, teaching them how to honor God and serve others while improving their relationships with Christ. Through his work, Ricky Sinclair has enhanced the lives of countless individuals, as he has assisted them in developing their spirituality and serving their Lord.