And it could be coming to a street – make that a motorway – near you soon. When advertisers buy one of the sqm slots for $30, they vote for which country they would like to see the banner in. It’s like Eurovision – only this time the biased voting is perfectly acceptable.
All they need to do is visit www.longestbanner.com (http://www.longestbanner.com/)
On the record!
• The 55.5km vinyl banner will cost $700,000 and consist of 50,500 slots.
• Each 100cm x 100cm slot costs $30.
• According to the Guinness World Records, the existing world record for the longest banner is 55.4km and held by Rotary International in India.
• With each slot purchase, advertisers vote to determine in which country the banner will be unveiled.
• Advertisers then choose one of six charities to receive a $100,000 donation once the banner is complete.
• The website links advertisers to a one-click vector conversion site. Vector images can be scaled up to any size without losing their quality.
• There’s a built in bidding system allowing printers to submit their quotes. The best will become the official producer and have their name solely associated with printing the banner.