The report titled “The US Video Game Industry Outlook to 2017 – Transition from Console to Online and Mobile Gaming” provides a comprehensive analysis of the various aspects such as market size of the US video game industry, video game hardware market, video game software market, online games market and mobile games market. The report also covers the market shares of major hardware manufacturers in the US as well as the revenues of major players in the software development space.
Video game industry in the US, which is hugely driven by retail sales of software and hardware, registered revenues of USD ~ million in CY’2012. Even so with the advent of new video game players in the industry, the revenues decreased by 11.7% compared to CY’2011 where the total revenues was USD ~ million. Each segment in the video game industry is subject to a gamut of different factors such as price cuts and number of units sold that play an important role in determining their respective revenues. The video game industry in the US has grown at a CAGR of 8.5% from USD 13,300 million in CY’2006 to USD ~ million in CY’2012.
The US video game software market is comprised of various independent software developers that specialize in designing games and are not financially supported by a major hardware manufacturing corporation. Market revenues of Activision Blizzard have increased noticeably from USD 1,494 million in CY’2008 to USD ~ million in CY’2012, making it the largest player in the independent software development space. Electronic Arts was the second largest publisher of video games in CY’2012. EA generated revenues of USD ~ million through software development and publishing.
Three main competitors in the video game hardware market in the US are Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft’s Xbox sold ~ million units in CY’2012 followed by PlayStation 3 selling ~ million units and Wii with 2 million units. Since CY’2010, Xbox has prevailed to be the bestselling home console, majorly due to price cuts, strong sales of Xbox Kinect.
The market for video games in the US is changing at a brisk rate. Technological advancements and gaming diffusion across ages as well as competitive pressures have been significantly changing the market. Revenues from the video game industry in the US are expected to expand to USD ~ million in CY’2017, growing with a CAGR of ~% from CY’2012 to CY’2017.
Online gaming in the US has witnessed a rapid expansion in the last couple of years. Digital console and PC gaming, MMO gaming and social gaming have remodeled the panorama of the traditional game market place with more number of consumers switching to relatively cheap avenues of video gaming. Market revenues of the online gaming segment were USD ~ million in CY’2012 growing by 8.8% from USD ~ million in CY’2011.
The US MMO gaming market was worth USD ~ million in CY’2012 in terms of revenues, registering a growth of 13.65% from USD ~ million in CY’2011. The US witnessed 50 million MMO video game players in calendar year 2012, of which ~ million spent money on free-to-play or subscription based MMO games.
Key Topics Covered in the Report
- The market size of the US video game industry, video game software, video game hardware, video game accessories, online gaming, MMO gaming, social gaming and mobile gaming market.
- Market segmentation of the video game software market on the basis of console and PC software, type of distribution, types of video game ratings and type of genre.
- Market segmentation of the video game hardware market on the basis of console and handheld hardware.
- Market segmentation of the social gaming market on the basis of revenues sources.
- Market segmentation of the mobile gaming market on the basis of revenue sources.
- Trends and Development in the US video game industry.
- Competitive landscape and detailed company profiles of the major manufacturers of video game hardware and software in the US.
- Future outlook and projections of the US video game industry – software, hardware, accessories, online gaming and mobile gaming, on the basis of revenues in the US.
For more information on the industry research report please refer to the below mentioned link: