One of the greatest challenges for us is to ‘enjoy’ people and therefore ‘enjoy’ life. Other turbulences, do have an impact. They do leave lessons and scars. But, relationships gone wrong can leave behind deep throbbing hurtful wounds that blur vision of life.
Like the proverbial lighthouse that guides sailors in the darkest of the nights, a few beliefs have guided me in relationships even in nightmarish situations.
Here are those relationship navigators. Whenever I have done well, I have lived by one or a few of them. Every time I messed up (sometimes I have…ouch)
1. Let go of those people who are not there anymore. Especially the hurtful ones.
They suck energy out of your today.
2. Always give sincere people, one more chance.
3. Tolerate idiots. In fact, work with them. Create them. Help them. Never tolerate insincere people.
4. Stay in touch with genuine people, no matter what.
5. Stay in touch with people who stood by you. NEVER desert them.
6. Nurture relationships with people who are better than you. It is a great exercise to bust your ego.
7. Treat EVERYONE with kindness and respect. You will feel peaceful. It’s more for you and less for them.
8. Forgive yourself, if you have learnt from your relationship mistakes. Stop being guilty. Move on.
9. Forgive others and move on too. Let go of hurt and focus on being cheerful and happy.
10. While dealing with petty issues, do not become petty.
11. Learn to release your anger and frustrations through ‘something’
Or else, you will hurt yourself and your close ones.
12. Free yourself from the company of negative people. Right NOW.
13. Be the greatest ‘good finder’ in people. Tell them the good in them.
That is what each one of us needs – Someone to tell us, what is good in us.
Even if we know it, listening to it, serves a great morale booster.
14. Always praise. Never flatter.
15. Always want to ‘give MORE’ than what you receive. This is a must in any great relationship.
16. Write one thank you note, everyday…to different people.
17. Avoid being sarcastic. Ignore the sarcasms.
18. Listen. Listen. Listen. And then, listen a little more.
19. Discuss. Do not argue.
20. Never remind people what you have done for them. Always remember, what
they did for you.
21. Be worthy.
Worthy of affection, worthy of care, worthy of trust, worthy of your words, worthy of love, worthy of abundance.
22. Never hurt others. It’s not worth it. Revenge never heals. The hurt remains. Only forgiveness heals.
23. Whatever happens, be trustworthy. The biggest let down in relationships is breaking of trust.
24. If you are even slightly wrong, say sorry emphatically and immediately. Do this without any explanations.
Do you have any guidelines that you want to share with us? Things and thoughts that have worked for you? We would love to read your ideas about the three best things that have worked for you in relationships.
May you thoroughly enjoy relationships that you have in life.
With loads of love, prayers and best wishes,
As I Live…I Learn