1. Latest News
  2. Submit Press Release
  1. PR Home
  2. Latest News
  3. Feeds
  4. Alerts
  5. Submit Free Press Release
  6. Journalist Account
  7. PRNewswire Distribution

Carbon Monoxide Deaths from Generators after Hurricane Sandy

Carbon monoxide (CO) is called the ‘Silent Killer’ - it’s odorless, colorless and tasteless, and is the #1 cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America.

 
PRLog - Jan. 23, 2013 - Carbon monoxide poisoning during power outages caused by Hurricane Sandy is being blamed for 12 deaths across New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsyvania. In one accident that claimed the life of a 59 year old Trenton, NJ woman, the generator was left running overnight in the basement and seven other family members were hospitalized with serious injuries.  

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission there were approximately 600 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning between 1999 and 2010. “If you do not wake up, having an alarm in the hall can save you money but not your life. It is precisely this reason you need a CO alarm in every bedroom,” said Dr. Mark K. Goldstein, a leading carbon monoxide expert. According to a study by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, the most reliable carbon monoxide detector (http://quantumguardian.com/sites/default/files/LBNL-summa...) is made by Quantum Group Inc. The Quantum CO sensors are made in America. Dr. Goldstein recommends The Quantum COSTAR® Model 9RV as an excellent option for your home or RV.  Another product he recommends is the Quantum Guardian® Model QG100.

Both are available from Quantum Group, and can be purchased online at www.QGinc.com or wwwQuantumGuardian.com, or by calling 800 432 5599. The products are made in the U.S.A. and the cost ranges from $24 to $36 per unit.  

Carbon monoxide attacks the brain and many people never fully recover from their injuries sustained by exposure. CO poisoning often leads to delayed brain damage (delayed neurological sequelae), and even though this phenomena is not well explained, it. It is seen over and over again in these types of CO poisoning cases. “It is a big problem,” said Bill Kramer, New Jersey’s acting Fire Marshal (reference Jon Offredo, The Times of Trenton, Nov.17, 2012 and the New York Times Published Nov. 17, 2012).

In addition to the 12 deaths in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, many more people were seriously injured by carbon monoxide. In Newark, two women died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a generator being positioned too close to their apartment window. The Center for Disease and Control (CDC) states you should never use a portable generator closer than 20 feet from the home.

Contact: Phil Wright

Quantum Group Inc.


Pwright@QGinc.com (mailto:Pwright@QGinc.com)
760-427-1397

--- End ---

Click to Share

Contact Email:
***@qginc.com Email Verified
Source:Quantum Group Inc.
Phone:8004325599
Zip:92121
City/Town:San Diego - California - United States
Industry:Biotech, Manufacturing
Tags:deaths from CO, co alarm, carbon monoxide expert, most reliable
Shortcut:prlog.org/12065519
Disclaimer:   Issuers of the press releases are solely responsible for the content of their press releases. PRLog can't be held liable for the content posted by others.   Report Abuse

Trending News...



  1. SiteMap
  2. Privacy Policy
  3. Terms of Service
  4. Copyright Notice
  5. About
  6. Advertise
Like PRLog?
9K2K1K
Click to Share