San Anselmo has been a crossroads if not a center of activity from the days when the Coast Miwok inhabited the valley and fished the fresh waters of the creek. Red Hill, a town landmark, was the meeting point of three 1840s Mexican land grants. The rancho days had come to an end by 1875, when the North Pacific Coast Railroad completed its line, with its tracks branching east and west at San Anselmo.
Railroad officials encouraged real estate activity but it was not until the San Francisco Theological Seminary was completed in 1892 that the town began to grow. Incorporation followed in 1907, after refugees from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire built permanent homes. The population grew in the years following World War II but San Anselmo has remained a small, family town.
Highlights of San Anselmo include:
• A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this book will benefit the San Anselmo Historical Society.
• The majority of the images came from the collections of the San Anselmo Historical Museum and the Marin History Museum, which were donated over the years by Marin residents.
• The book highlights the town’s landscape, natural setting and the significant events, people, businesses and institutions in the town’s history.
Available at area bookstores, independent retailers, and online retailers, or through Arcadia Publishing at (888)-313-2665 or online.
Arcadia Publishing is the leading publisher of local and regional history in the United States. Our mission is to make history accessible and meaningful through the publication of books on the heritage of America’s people and places. Have we done a book on your town? Visit www.arcadiapublishing.com.