This study shows the current outlook of the elders in our country and their main point of apprehension divided over 4 parameters - Socio-economic issues, Security issues, Healthcare needs and Lifestyle needs.
According to the research, 3 out of every 4 seniors are open to move to an assisted senior living community. Today’s seniors are living alone in an environment where they are not satisfied with the current security options and 80% seniors are concerned about break-ins & stealing. 70% of seniors want to move out of town into a home of their own and 42% seniors rank security among the top 3 requirements from a living space. More than 80% seniors seek to sustain lifestyle or improve it as they do not wish to “retire” and more than 75% seniors want to socialize, club, party, exercise, play sports & shop luxury goods.
Sujay Misra, Managing Director AZ Research said “This research is an eye opener. It shows us some interesting statistics about the senior citizens of our country who feel insecure and neglected owing to a number of factors. Now-a-days 3 out of every 10 seniors are living alone and not only are seniors living alone, but also living in single independent houses, where they are cut-off from immediate contact with a society. This raises not just loneliness issues but also security concerns. ”
“The need for a comprehensive senior living community in today’s day and age is increasing. 3 out of every 4 seniors are open to move to an assisted senior living community and seniors are increasingly seeking & willing to pay for residential communities with housekeeping support & leisure avenues. The senior years now mean the beginning of a new phase in life.” Sujay remarked.
Some interesting findings:
Socio-economic trends observed by the survey show how seniors are not satisfied by their current living arrangements and look to increase their present lifestyle. While most would want to believe that seniors are satisfied with their current socio-economic life, the stats show a different picture. They aim to have stability and security in their life in these years.
· Currently, India had 98 million elderly citizens however, this is expected to grow to 118 million senior citizens by 2016 as average life expectancy will cross 70 years by then
· 1 out of every 2 seniors living alone is not satisfied with current living arrangements and hence 90% expressed the need to have a home out of city which is secure, peaceful & well-facilitated. Also, they consider security, good sanitation & access to medical facilities critical in a home.
· Income levels are on the rise - 8-9 out of every 10 seniors are working. Value of salaries drawn last by seniors has grown by ~ 20% over the last 20 yrs
· Joint families are giving way to nuclear families, hence more and more seniors are living alone - 3 out of every 10 seniors are living alone … higher in metros as compared to non metros. Older seniors are visited by their children less often
· Shopping, bill payment and gardening are activities that seniors prefer doing themselves, while the activities that are least preferred : Cooking, Ironing clothes, cleaning the house, Washing/doing laundry and Cleaning the toilets
Security needs have always been the primal concern for all humans and more so for the senior citizens. The figures show that over the last decade, crimes against seniors in the metros Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata have grown by 55%. Crime rate in India is at an all time high of 187.6 crimes per lakh population -
· Over the years, seniors living in single independent/
· 8 out of 10 seniors are concerned about their at-home security and 80% seniors are concerned about break-ins & stealing. Hence they find it unsafe to use domestic help for housekeeping, washing and laundering and bill payments etc.
· Also 6 of 10 seniors do not wish to live in a home that does not have guaranteed security and 42% seniors rank Security among the top 3 requirements from a living space
· Security concerns also cause fear for safety and damage one’s sense of freedom hence seniors seek high-end security systems that structured homes offer
· 90% of seniors expressed they need a home out of city which is secure, peaceful & well-facilitated, 58% responded that they had NO inhibitions in moving to a far-better living space as it would provide: secure living space (89%), Calm natural environs (83%); Non-medical care-giving (81%); Social environment (79%); Desired/ Aspired lifestyle (76%).
Healthcare amongst senior citizens has moved from the conventional reactive healthcare to pro-active well being and a holistic living concept. More than 80% seniors consider ‘holistic living’ as important and pay offs associated with ‘Holistic living’ are emotional & sensorial in nature (Fresh mind, calmness and serenity)
· Though not many senior citizens engage in sports activities but among those who are into outdoor sports, there is high uptake of golf and badminton.
· 3 out of 4 seniors proactively take up activities for betterment of health
· Topmost concern for seniors is their physical ability to do daily activities
· 1 out of 3 seniors are frail & need assistance for conducting all daily activities and 3 out of 4 seniors don’t have any support to conduct daily activities
· 88% of seniors in metros and 98% in non metros express need for medical centre in vicinity with doctors-on-call
· Seniors visit doctors 3 to 4 times on a monthly basis – 1 out of every 2-3 seniors reports back/ joint ache, cardiac ailment and diabetes
Lifestyle needs show the most interesting trends amongst senior citizens. The discontent is evident as 1 out of every 2 seniors is dissatisfied with current living conditions. More than 80% seniors seek to sustain lifestyle or improve it as they do not wish to “retire”. And while we may think that the elders just want to lay back and relax the study observes that younger seniors want a new career while older seniors want to take up new hobbies.
· Today 2 out of every 3 seniors own Smartphones & 3 out of every 4 seniors use internet
· 1/3rd seniors eat out at least once a week
· More than 75% seniors want to socialize, club, party, exercise, play sports & shop luxury goods and 85% seniors desire to live in a multi-cultural society
· 95% of seniors desire moderate to high stimulation lifestyles and want to better their current condition. Thus, there is a well-developed need for assisted senior living in India, wherein seniors seek access to restaurants, hospitals, banks & FIs, and housekeeping support
AZ Research Partners marks the partnership of two fast growing research and consultancy organizations in South East Asia - iMrs Advisory, India and BMI Research, SE Asia. It has operations spanning across Asian continents with offices across India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Hongkong, Bangladesh & Japan.