Physical therapists are required to complete at least 30 contact hours of board−approved continuing education during each biennial (2 year) registration period. At least 4 contact hours of the 30 must be in ethics and jurisprudence.
Physical therapist assistants are required to complete at least 20 hours of board−approved continuing education in each biennial registration period. At least 4 contact hours of the 30 must be in ethics and jurisprudence.
Standards for Approval
To be approved for credit, a continuing education program shall meet all of the following criteria:
· The program constitutes an organized program of learning which contributes directly to the professional competency of the licensee.
· The program pertains to subject matters which integrally relate to the practice of the profession.
· The program is conducted by individuals who have specialized education, training or experience by reason of which the individuals should be considered qualified concerning the subject matter of the activity or program.
· The program fulfills pre−established goals and objectives.
· The program provides proof of attendance by licensees.
There is no limit on the number of hours earned through successful completion of a self−study course or courses offered via electronic or other means which are sponsored or approved by acceptable health−related or other organizations.
Milestone Continuing Education is approved to offer online and home study CEU courses for physical therapists. Wisconsin PTs/PTAs may obtain all 30 hours required for renewal through coursework offered @ https://www.milestonece.com/
Proof of Attendance
Applicants for renewal shall be required to certify their attendance at required continuing education programs.
The board may conduct a random audit of all licensees on a biennial basis for compliance with continuing education requirements, and shall audit any licensee who is under investigation by the board for alleged misconduct.
NOTE: Continuing education is not required during the biennium when license was first issued.
Information obtained from the Wisconsin Physical Therapy Examining Board website on 1/8/2013: http://dsps.wi.gov/