B.R.A.K.E.S. is a non-profit drivers’ education organization founded by NHRA driver/owner Doug Herbert. Herbert lost his two sons in a tragic automobile accident in 2008 and founded B.R.A.K.E.S. with the mission to prevent injuries and save lives by promoting safe, responsible driving for teens and their parents, through both classroom training and practical hands-on driving instruction.
According to Herbert, “More than 5,000 teenagers lose their lives each year across the country in traffic accidents.” By providing nearly four hours of in-depth training with low student-instructor ratios, Herbert hopes to dramatically lower this number. His curriculum incorporates defensive driving techniques, promotes awareness of distracted driving, and encourages parents’ participation in order to ensure that the knowledge gained during the course isn’t lost afterward.
Training areas include:
• Accident Avoidance/Slalom – Students make split-second decisions and navigate around cones while focusing on weight transfer, hand positioning, and eye scanning.
• Distracted Driving – Demonstrates the danger of cell phones, text messaging, and other distractions on the road.
• Drop Wheel/Off Road Recovery – Teaches students how to regain control of the vehicle and safely return to the roadway.
• Panic Stop – Demonstrates safe stopping distance and the effects of anti-lock brakes.
• Car Control and Recovery – Students learn to recover from over- and under-steering on a wet skid pad.
McGrath Kia is proud to represent an automaker so devoted to safety on the road, and they invite area residents to come test drive the top safety rated 2013 Kia Rio or any of the full line of new 2013 models. They have a great selection of cars, trucks, crossovers, and compacts from top international and domestic manufacturers. They also offer expert service and repairs from professional service technicians. Interested car buyers can check hours of operation, see their full inventory, or get directions right from their website.