“There are thousands of animals out there who need a friend,” said Judie Jones, executive director, “but we can’t rescue without more foster homes.” Jones and MAD Rescue are also strong advocates for spaying/neutering animals and feel that the problem of abused and abandoned animals is an education issue. Jones says that there is a very serious pet over-population problem and cites these statistics to promote the importance of spaying/neutering animals.
The Humane Society of the United States estimates:
• Cats and dogs entering shelters each year: 8–10 million
• Euthanized each year: 4–5 million
• Adopted from shelters each year: 3–5 million
Further statistics indicate:
• Each day 10,000 humans are born in the U.S. and each day 70,000 puppies and kittens are born. As long as these birth rates exist, there will never be enough homes for all the animals (Spay USA)
• It costs U.S. taxpayers an estimated $2 billion each year to round up, house, kill, and dispose of homeless animals. (USA Today)
• 25% of dogs euthanized in animal shelters are purebred
• Over 56% of dogs and puppies entering shelters are killed, based on reports from over 1,055 facilities across America. (National Counsel on Pet Population Study)
• An estimated 5 million cats and dogs are killed in shelters each year. That’s one about every six and one half seconds. (The Humane Society of the United States) Millions more are abandoned, only to suffer from illness or injury before dying. (Doris Day Animal League)
MAD Rescue also needs donations to defray expenses for many animals whose abuse and neglect frequently requires medical attention. The event is being sponsored by Mobile Technology Association of Michigan and several of its members, including:
• Billhighway - providing mobile donation services for event day only http://billhighway.com
• Exmosi - providing the mobile website for the Make a Difference Animal Rescue on an on-going basis. The website will facilitate requests for info, the initial basic application for fostering and for adoption, access to the MAD Rescue's PayPal site for future donations, access to photos of animals currently in need of adoption or fostering, etc. http://exmosi.com
• Text Ripple - providing text messaging services that will enable on-going donations, info about MAD Rescue, stats about animal rescue overall, updates on animals, etc. http://textripple.com
• The Prewitt Group – providing communications marketing services. www.theprewittgroup.com
Those who donate at least $50 will receive a gift bag from MAD Rescue and MTAM. For more information, visit Make a Difference Rescue at https://www.facebook.com/
About the Mobile Technology Association of Michigan:
The Mobile Technology Association of Michigan (MTAM) is a Michigan-based non-profit trade association for the mobile / wireless industry. Our mission is to grow the industry within the state by increasing demand for Michigan-based mobile / wireless technology products and services, thereby generating increased entrepreneurial and enterprise-level opportunities and creating sustainable jobs for Michigan residents.
MTAM sponsors Michigan-based growth of the Mobile Monday organization which to-date boasts 2300+ members in chapters located in Ann Arbor, Detroit, Grand Rapids and Lansing; performs research for members and other interested parties; facilitates idea sharing, entrepreneurial programs, training programs and jobs creation; acts as a liaison with the mobile / wireless technology community inside and outside of Michigan; and serves as a resource for all things related to the mobile / wireless industry. MTAM’s website can be found at http://GoMobileMichigan.org .
About Make a Difference Rescue:
Make A Difference Rescue is a metro Detroit-based, foster-based, non-profit canine rescue dedicated to helping abused & abandoned animals have the healthy and happy life they deserve.