In 1850, the New Jersey Legislature created Ocean County and Brick Township, naming it for Joseph W. Brick, the industrious owner of Bergen Iron Works. At the beginning of the 20th century, Brick Township was a rural community. Up until the 1920s, postcards of the township were primarily architectural images.
Brick Township contains updated images of familiar names and places: Emma Havens Young, for whom an elementary school has been named; the very popular Red Lion Tavern, later called the Red Lion Inn; the progression of four bridges crossing Barnegat Bay to the peninsula area of Brick Township; and Traders Cove Marina as it looked in the 1950s when it was called Pleasure Cove Marina. There are postcards from summer camps, such as Camp NEJECHO and Metedeconk Summer Camp, and from summer resorts, such as Breton Woods, Riviera Beach, and Normandy Beach.
Highlights of Brick Township:
• The postcards in this book show the numerous sections of the township.
• Among the many postcards, there are several that depict the summer resort activities.
• The book illustrates the 15 different postmarks used in the history of the township.
• The postcards show the growth the township had between the 1920s and the 1960s.
Gene Donatiello and John Leavey have been residents of Brick Township for over 40 years. Donatiello has a background in history and is the township historian. Leavey has been collecting local postcards and other related material for over 30 years. They authored Images of America: Brick Township in 1999.
Available at area bookstores, independent retailers, and online retailers, or through Arcadia Publishing at www.arcadiapublishing.com or
Arcadia Publishing is the leading publisher of local and regional history in the United States. Our mission is to make history accessible and meaningful through the publication of books on the heritage of America’s people and places. Have we done a book on your town? Visit www.arcadiapublishing.com.