D S Simon Survey: Social Media And Video Drive Media Coverage For Corporations
For a free copy of the survey please email: survey@
The D S Simon Web Influencers Survey found reporters and producers are turning to social media and the web to mine for sources and stories in numbers greater than ever.
Among the survey’s findings:
· 84% of traditional media websites increasingly rely on social media for story content. 93% of newspaper websites use social media for story content.
· Facebook, Twitter and YouTube lead as media resources
o 89% use Facebook, 86% use Facebook and 58% use YouTube
· Traditional media sites increasingly running stories pitched via social media
o 75% of newspaper reporters and 72% of television producers have run stories pitched to them via social media
“The common denominator in all of these developments has been the increased role that web video has made in shaping the way organizations and websites cover the news” said Douglas Simon, President & CEO of D S Simon Productions.
The survey also found:
· 33% growth in the use of video by media websites since 2009
· 80% use outside produced video on their websites creating enormous opportunity for communicators including placement of uncredited video on media websites
“Content created for an opt-in culture will be one of the driving factors in the years to come as a way for organizations and corporations to maintain and build relationships with key publics” said Simon.
The D S Simon survey found social media is also effective as a channel to increase the PRketing® value of an organization’
The Web Influencers Survey, now in its fourth year, consists of an online survey delivered by Survey Monkey to more than 1,000 web media influencers. Individual surveys were sent out to reporters and producers at TV, radio, newspaper, magazine and web media (bloggers) properties. We received 329 responses.
About D S Simon Productions Inc.:
D S Simon is a full-service PRketing® firm that specializes in integrated communications, video, content creation and distribution. Its clients include corporations, associations and agencies that represent them. The firm helped pioneer Internet Media Tours and Video Press Junkets and has created award-winning viral video production and distribution campaigns. Celebrating its 26th year, the company’s headquarters and state-of-the-