Every licensee must complete 26 hours of approved continuing education (CE):
· - Two (2) hours of a course provided by a Board of Occupational Therapy approved provider relating to the Prevention of Medical Errors.
· - Two (2) hours of a course provided by a Board of Occupational Therapy approved provider relating to the laws and rules for occupational therapy.
· - Twelve (12) hours of home study per biennium are allowed. Home study education is independent study and requires a certificate of completion. Home study education does not include a web-based, satellite transmitted or online instruction program that allows or requires the licensee to interact or communicate back and forth with the instructor during the presentation of the program.
Professional Development Resources is an American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) approved provider of continuing education (#3159). The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Professional Development Resources is also approved by the Florida Board of OT Practice (#34) and is CE Broker compliant (courses are submitted within one week of completion). Florida-licensed OTs and OTAs can earn up to 12 hours per renewal cycle through online courses available @ https://www.pdresources.org/
The Department of Health, Division of Medical Quality Assurance (MQA), will now review your continuing education records in the electronic tracking system (CE Broker) at the time of renewal. It will happen automatically when you renew your license and it is important that you understand this simple change. Learn more @ http://www.ceatrenewal.com/
For Initial Licensure Renewal
Licensees initially licensed within the second half of the licensure biennium are exempt from the completing the total 26 hours of CE requirements for renewal with the exception of:
· - Two (2) hour course relating to prevention of medical errors
· - One (1) hour course in HIV/AIDS
If you were licensed on or after 03/01/12, you are exempt from completing the total 26 hours required or the biennium ending 02/28/13. Even though you completed a 2 hour course in prevention of medical errors for initial licensure purposes, you must complete an additional 2 hours of prevention of medical errors for each renewal. You must also complete 1 hour of HIV/AIDS, only if you have not previously completed one. The 1 hour of HIV/AIDS CE requirement is a one-time requirement.
The licensee shall retain the certificates of attendance or other records for 4 years for documentation purposes, in case of audit.
Information obtained from the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy website on 12/7/2012: http://www.doh.state.fl.us/