PRLog - Dec. 3, 2012 - ATLANTA -- WHAT: All About Developmental Disabilities (AADD (http://www.aadd.org))
AADD's new Family Support Center opens Dec. 6
WHERE: AADD Family Support Center, 125 Clairemont Avenue, Suite 300, Decatur, GA 30030
WHEN: Thursday, Dec. 6, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
WHY: For people living with developmental disabilities, transitions are a challenge, be it from elementary to high school, high school to college, to a new job or to a new living place. There are emotional, physical and financial issues, and the new FSC is designed to make it easier for families to navigate the process.
Funding for the FSC was made possible through money raised by the Cathedral Antiques Show, a community outreach project sponsored by the Episcopal Church Women of the Cathedral of St. Philip. The 2012 show raised $312,000, specifically to benefit the FSC.
Family Support Center Services
Developmental disabilities cover a wide spectrum, making it crucial that the services are tailored to each individual’s needs. Services offered by the Family Support Center include:
· Person-Centered Planning – A process-oriented planning approach to empowering those with developmental disabilities, focused on putting people in charge of defining the directions for their lives.
· Personal Advocacy — FSC staff work with individuals and families to gain access to appropriate resources and services through consultation, advice and information.
· Navigational Advocacy – Government processes can be insurmountable obstacles to those unfamiliar with them. A team of consultants helps individuals and families understand the various offerings of government and educational institutions and assists them in obtaining the most appropriate services and financial aid available.
· Peer Support Groups - Offered weekly for women, teens, men and caregivers. Support groups are formed in the fall and spring for six-month cycles.
· Resource Center – Provides information on services and referrals to other organizations and services in the community.
· Board President, Lisa Blanco
· Interim Director, Kathy Keeley
· Family Support Services Director Azalene James
· Client families
About All About Developmental Disabilities
Founded in 1956, All About Developmental Disabilities (AADD) is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating lifelong support, education and opportunities for children, adults and families living with developmental disabilities. AADD provides support services, advocacy and training to families living with developmental disabilities. Developmental disabilities are defined as severe chronic disabilities that limit three or more critical functional abilities. More information at www.AADD.org. (http://www.aadd.org)
Contact: Mitch Leff, Leff & Associates, (404) 861-4769, firstname.lastname@example.org