1. Upgrade You're Home's Attic Insulation
2. Have You're Home's Ventilation Checked
3. Have You're Home Inspected by a BPI Certified Installer
4. Have an Energy Audit Done
5. Clean Out You're Gutters To prevent ice build up in you're gutters.
Hiring a contractor may be the best route for most homeowners. Ice dams can be really damaging to you're roof. Dealing with growing ice dams as soon as they start to form should be a number one priority for you're home. You shouldn't be totally discouraged by ice dams. Discovering that you're home has an ice dam problem is a great clue that you're home is not as energy efficient as it could be. Often ice dam prevention and removal is affordable and easy to get started. Make sure to fully research any possible contractor before hiring. Hiring the right company means more than just protecting your roof from ice dams damaging affects. It also provides an overall improvement in you're home's internal comfort level and a possible reduction in you're energy bills. For more information on ice dams & ice dam prevention visit Ryan Roofing's Main Site.