VisualEyes™ will provide each RWE npower renewables’ wind farm site with detailed, up-to-date, site-specific weather information from one central system, which can be accessed online 24/7. The site-specific forecasts and alerts are fed into the system for each location and displayed alongside a map.
In addition to real-time and forecast conditions, an inbuilt alert system will highlight any sites likely to experience adverse weather conditions. Thresholds are tailored for relevant weather elements, for example RWE npower renewables can set bespoke thresholds for lightning amongst other weather parameters, allowing it to identify clear weather windows and plan maintenance at a given site.
The key benefit of the Met Office’s VisualEyes™ is its ability to anticipate weather conditions at wind farm sites and present this in an easy to interpret online platform. The availability of accurate data for real-time and forecast weather conditions enables RWE npower renewables to plan maintenance and repairs to ensure downtime is kept to a minimum, and in turn reduce maintenance costs - whilst ensuring the safety of staff and contractors on site.
Jim Marshall, Operations Performance Manager from RWE npower renewables, says, “Access to accurate weather conditions for individual sites is essential. VisualEyes™ literally allows us to keep an eye on wind farm conditions, so we can be confident we’re operating in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible, and that we’re not putting our staff at any risk due to hazardous weather conditions. We aim to extend our use of the Met Office’s VisualEyes™ into our projects in Europe over the coming months.”
Julian Menadue, Business Account Manager for the Met Office, says, “With multiple locations across the country, VisualEyes™ makes planning and monitoring across multiple sites easy with its ability to visualise the weather on maps and produce alerts and planning charts for each site from one central system.”
Met Office VisualEyes™ key features:
• Web based monitoring system, a simple and convenient asset management platform for wind farms sites across Europe.
• Customisable weather analysis reports can be generated up to 14-days ahead to show a selectable choice of weather elements, eg lightning, hub-height wind speed, temperature, rainfall and snow.
• Site specific data and alerts for every location.
• Real-time images and forecast weather conditions across all sites.
• Map viewer function uses high resolution modelling, to give high level detail to the weather layers.
• See areas affected by poor visibility due to rain, snow, fog and mist.
• A detailed snow layer, which can distinguish between a variety of precipitation types, ranging from snow to hail.
• Alerts anticipate movement of weather conditions hour by hour.
RWE npower renewables is a leading player in the drive to generate more electricity from clean, inexhaustable energy sources - wind, rivers, the sea and the land. RWE npower renewables is part of RWE Innogy, one of Europe’s largest and fastest growing renewables generating companies.
As the world-leading provider of weather and climate services, the Met Office is one of the top two operational weather forecasting centres in the world. For more information on the Met Office’s services for renewable energy, please see www.metoffice.gov.uk/